Why are my new S. petricola so shy and hate light so much?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
NeutroNShivA
Location 1: Poland
Location 2: Oberschlesien

Why are my new S. petricola so shy and hate light so much?

Post by NeutroNShivA »

I have a 240 l tank with 8 Crossocheilus oblongus*, 6 or so pearl gourami*. And plenty of rocks.
About week ago I bought 6 young but very good looking petricola. The thing is: I thought they are rather fairly active during day but instead they all hide between rocks or near filter. I feed them at night and its the only time when they move theyr lazy a##es. Are they ever gonna get more active? Are they just still getting used to new tank? Let me tell that the other fishes ignore them so it aint a problem...

* I plan on getting rid of some of them later since there might be a bit too many fishes, but since the petricola are so shy thus far I think about leaving them for now... Tell me if Im right or if I should remove some of the Crossocheilus and gourami right away?.?.?
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Re: Why are my new S. petricola so shy and hate light so much?

Post by Birger »

I think if they are young that you just need a bit of patience with them...on another note not sure if the synodontis and the are such a good mix.

Birger
Birger
NeutroNShivA
Location 1: Poland
Location 2: Oberschlesien

Post by NeutroNShivA »

So as I thought. Crossocheilus are to be removed. This was to be expected. But really, is it natural that they are staying between rocks even after a week? They arent bullied or anything, and they are well fed since I give them food at night...
syno321
I've donated: $127.00!
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 33 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta, Canada
Location 2: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post by syno321 »

The petricola/lucipinnis take a while to settle in to new surroundings. Even when transferred from one of your tanks to another they are still shy after being moved. Be patient and they will eventually get comfortable and you'll see more of them.
Ask not...
PlecosAndLoaches
My cats species list: 89 (i:79, k:0)
My aquaria list: 9 (i:4)
Location 2: West Michigan, US

Post by PlecosAndLoaches »

Mine are what I'd consider shy, but they're also very active...darting in & out of rocks, caves, wood, etc...seldom coming out in the open but always moving. The only reason you should have cause for concern would be if they've stopped moving around and are just laying there still for long periods of time. My two cents...
verbal
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Location 2: Reston, VA, USA

Post by verbal »

It seems with Synodontis lucipinis if you give them continual cover that creates shadows, they will generally be fairly active even if the lights are on. If all they have for shade are separated caves they will probably be more nocturnal.
Thank you for your support of the 2014 All-Aquarium Catfish Convention
http://catfishcon.com
Hope to see you in 2016
Ambull
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 1: Delaware, USA
Location 2: Newark

Post by Ambull »

I hate to bum you out but I have been keeping/breeding Petricolas (or lucipinnis) for many-many years, along side Multipunctatus, in tank sizes varying from 70 gal, to 165 gal, and i can tell you that mine don't come out much. It seems that the two third generation petricolas in the group come out from the rocks more than their parents or grandparents, but most of the time i only see them during feeding time. In contrast my multi's are out in full out comical fashion 24/7.

FYI - My lights stay off most of the time. 80% off / 20% on.
apo1980
My cats species list: 12 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Austria
Location 2: Vienna

Post by apo1980 »

if you give them a lot of cover they become more secure and be more active during the day
they like shadows like verbal wrote so try to keep them big covered areas and they will be more active after a short time
Nadiboy
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: British Columbia
Location 2: Canada

Post by Nadiboy »

NeutroNShivA wrote:I have a 240 l tank with 8 Crossocheilus oblongus*, 6 or so pearl gourami*. And plenty of rocks.
About week ago I bought 6 young but very good looking petricola. The thing is: I thought they are rather fairly active during day but instead they all hide between rocks or near filter. I feed them at night and its the only time when they move theyr lazy a##es. Are they ever gonna get more active? Are they just still getting used to new tank? Let me tell that the other fishes ignore them so it aint a problem...

* I plan on getting rid of some of them later since there might be a bit too many fishes, but since the petricola are so shy thus far I think about leaving them for now... Tell me if Im right or if I should remove some of the Crossocheilus and gourami right away?.?.?
So, I have only experience with my single petricola, who I brought home about 6-7 weeks ago from the store I work at, where I am the primary fish keeper. He is currently about 2.5",and at the store, where he lived in a 50gal community with a huge array of small community fish, and ALWAYS remained hidden in one of the various caves. AS SOON as I introduced him to the new tank at home(a 20gal long), he changed completely, and is constantly, happily roaming the entire tank. He now lives with a single baby bushynose ancistrus, 2 blue rams, 2 dwarf gouramis, 5 neons, 2 small silver dollars(to be moved to my large community tank, when they are big enough), 7 guppies, and a couple of assassin snails. I plan to add at least a second petricola, and probably another bushynose, as well as a male dwarf gourami(the 2 are females).
Maybe not the most helpful reply, but this is my minimal experience.
He is probably my favourite fish of the 50 or so I currently keep at home!

Return to “African Catfishes”