Synodontis lucipinnis without spots

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Figaro
Location 1: Netherlands

Synodontis lucipinnis without spots

Post by Figaro »

Hi all,

I am raising some batches of S. lucupinnis fry and in one of the groups there is something odd going on. 4 individuals are not developping any spots at all. The other ones from the same batch allready developed their spots about 4 weeks ago, but these 4 remain completely white. Anyone breeding these cute creatures who has experienced the same? And is there a possibility that they remain white or will they develop their adult colouration a bit slower than their brothers and sisters? I would expect these youngsters to develop their adult colouration at about the same time, give or take a few days or maybe weeks, but 4 weeks seems very long to me.
pleco_breeder
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona
Interests: breeding plecos and corys

Re: Synodontis lucipinnis without spots

Post by pleco_breeder »

I cannot discount the possibility that these will remain white, but did see it on occasion that some fry developed their pattern more slowly. It was only ever a single individual from any given spawn so my final assumption was that the fish was likely being bullied by others and just developed slower because of it. To have four in a spawn showing this seems a bit unusual in itself.

Larry Vires
Impossible only means that somebody hasn't done it correctly yet.
Figaro
Location 1: Netherlands

Re: Synodontis lucipinnis without spots

Post by Figaro »

Thanks for your answer.

They are still completely white and they are not even the smallest ones in the batch. We'll see how they develop. I will try and make some pics soon. They are looking so cute :-p

Return to “African Catfishes”