My two new Synodontis

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
jodilynn
I've donated: $84.00!
My cats species list: 85 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 7
Spotted: 41
Location 2: BeeEffaEe, MI

My two new Synodontis

Post by jodilynn »

Scored a S. schoutedeni and a S. brichardi today at a (not) LFS. Never visited this one before, heard good things. Apparently an elderly gentleman passed away and had a huge collection of synos. They also had S. waterloti and two bizarre looking specimens I could not identify. The schoutedeni is only about 2.5 inches but the brichardi is almost 7 inches.
20171009_155747.jpg
Attachments
20171009_155750.jpg
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: My two new Synodontis

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Nice. Can you post more pics of the one you are calling schoutedeni? It looks funny.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
jodilynn

Post by jodilynn »

Viktor Jarikov wrote: 10 Oct 2017, 01:25 Nice. Can you post more pics of the one you are calling schoutedeni? It looks funny.
I attribute the odd look to stress coloration. It was a deep mustard gold and brown in the store.

I have not been able to locate it 😬. It is smaller than any of the cats in there (but bigger than my loaches). I am happy to report the brichardi came right out to feed last night with my much more robust hybrid, eupterus and pleurops, and even attempted to push around my huge decoras. It's belly had a little bump this morning so I am assuming it ate it's fill.
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Post by naturalart »

Nice finds. would love to see more pics once they are settled in.
WadeNCreeks
My aquaria list: 11 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 2
Spotted: 48
Location 1: Fayetteville, AR
Location 2: 72704

Post by WadeNCreeks »

2 of my personal favorites
jodilynn

Post by jodilynn »

Happy to report the Schoutedeni made an appearance tonight. He really is quite small, not much bigger than my nigriventris! But he uses it to his advantage, he kind of snuck out, grabbed a chunk of Tetramin and scooted back into the middle cave (which amusingly enough he shares with my gargantuan decoras). Also saw my brichardi but he did not seem overly enthralled with his dining options this evening!
Can't wait to get my 90 gallon set up!
N0body Of The Goat
My cats species list: 25 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Southampton
Location 2: UK
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

Post by N0body Of The Goat »

Interesting that you say your S. schoutedeni is buddies with your S. decorus, my one pretty much instantly became pals with my ~31cm SL Auchenoglanis! The lack of colouring on the rear half of your specimen in the photo is very curious, not seen that before, a bit of a twist on the specimens that are sometimes called "custard" Synos IIRC.

Lovely S. brichardi, must be pretty close to fully grown and probably male going on how slim it is, sadly I rarely get to see much of my trio as they prefer to reside in the darker end (mostly covered by an old curtain) of their tank.
Dreaming of a full-on 5x2x2 Zaire River rapids biotope...

Return to “African Catfishes”