Synodontis Petricola Sickness?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
kvnbyl
I've donated: $411.00!
My cats species list: 48 (i:0, k:3)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:1)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:13)
My Wishlist: 6
Spotted: 10
Location 1: VA
Location 2: usa
Interests: catfish, especially synos, Rainbowfish, South American cichlids

Synodontis Petricola Sickness?

Post by kvnbyl »

i have a problem with some S. Petricola. They are very old (17 years, at least ) but they have never done this before
They have taken to swimming at the outlet of a fairly small sized power head that is situated maybe 10 inches from the waters surface.
At first it was one but then they all got into the act. There are very small S Petricola in this tank and they seem fine
Temp 76 F, ph varies a little, 7.1-7.3, tank is a 120 XH, water is soft, and I have had no problems with them for all of this time and they have spawned literally dozens of times
At first I thought maybe an ammonia spike as I have moved a fair number of fish into the tank (none of the fish are new) so I put some prime in the water to bring the ammonia down if indeed that was the case it made no difference
Then I thought Ich as I know it can be rough on the gills, treated for that and still no difference( Chloroquine Phosphate)
I don't know what else to do at this point as it would be heartbreaking to lose them after all the years and especially if I have done something stupid and I don't want to start dumping chemicals into the tank, usually has bad results IMHO
I'm hoping someone has some input. there is nothing wrong with them visually
Thank You
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Synodontis Petricola Sickness?

Post by bekateen »

@Birger, any thoughts?
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
kvnbyl wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 19:27 .......They have taken to swimming at the outlet of a fairly small sized power head that is situated maybe 10 inches from the waters surface.
At first it was one but then they all got into the act. There are very small S Petricola in this tank and they seem fine.........At first I thought maybe an ammonia spike as I have moved a fair number of fish into the tank (none of the fish are new) so I put some prime in the water to bring the ammonia down......
I think the new fish are relevant, and that ammonia might be your issue.

My reading would be that the increased ammonia has reduced the oxygen levels in the tank (and possibly the carbonate hardness?).

If you can I'd add some more aeration? and see what happens. Shane wrote an article <"A catfish keepers guide.... (https://www.planetcatfish.com/shaneswor ... cle_id=313)"> and there is a more comprehensive review (of the same subject area) at <"https://plecoplanet.com/articles/pleco/ ... -aquarium/">.

cheers Darrel
kvnbyl

Post by kvnbyl »

Darrel,
thanks for your reply! I thought of that too.The tank is a 120 XH with two eheim - 2217, 1-2215 and two large sponge filters that are cranking. The 2 -2217 spray bars are positioned just under the surface so the water comes up and out and then splashes down as is the 2215
I know tall tanks have a bad rep for being difficult to sufficiently oxygenate. I will add an airstone, it's worth a try. Also, there are corys in the tanbk abd they dod not seem to be affected. In fact none of the fish are except for the synos which it's so puzzling
I got ahold of one of the "fish pharmacies " in the states and he suggested concurrent treatment with oxytetracycline hydrochloride and metronidazole. so far no good but i'm sure that much med adds it's own stressors. there are no ragged fins, not a mark on them. They are so old they are basically a dark brown from one end to the other and there in nothing (that i can see) amiss.
Kevin
kvnbyl

Post by kvnbyl »

tried added aeration but still have a problem, it's just the older synos that are being affected. there are some young ones in the tank and they are fine
Neither the Oxy Tet or the Metronidazole are making any diff to these 5 fish, any other ideas?
Please?
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

Tanganyikan synos in general are very sensitive to any changes in their water system.They are like the canary in tbe mine....first to show something is going on.
I would make sure the oxygen content is as high as possible.
Also sometimes they just like to swin in weird places like these ones are doing.
Birger
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

Stop treating them with meds...get the water as clean as possible.Feed good quality foods and most Synodontis will live a long life.
Birger

Return to “African Catfishes”