Synodontis eupterus aggression and tankmates

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
WackAttack
Location 1: United States
Location 2: Northeast

Synodontis eupterus aggression and tankmates

Post by WackAttack »

Hi Everyone,

I posted here a few weeks ago seeking help identifying a catfish I inherited from a friend who was moving. The community helped me identify my new finned-friend as a Synodontis eupterus. While he was friendly to me, I believe his is not being friendly with any new additions that have joined him in his tank (30 gal).

Last weekend I added 2 Rams and 4 guppies to the tank. At first, everything seemed fine. I tested the water each day and everything was within parameters. Then, over the course of the next 6 days, all 6 fish began disappearing. And by disappearing I mean, I would check the tank in the morning or after returning home from work and I could NOT find the fish anywhere. Not on the bottom of the tank, not floating on the surface, not being chewed on, not in the filter. Gone.

It's been about 10 days since I added the other fish and testing the water every day has shown no signs of anything out of the ordinary. My syno is still swimming around and sticking to his log as though nothing has happened.

I had though that Synodontis eupterus was a fairly peaceful catfish, but is it possible he's a serial killer and eater? Has anyone else run into such problems before? I'd really like to add more fish to my tank, but not if my Syno is going to murder them!
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: Synodontis eupterus aggression and tankmates

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

It is not too surprising and has been known to occur. If a tank mate is small enough to fit in the syno mouth, it is at risk of becoming a prey.

See also sixth post down that has a link collection on this topic http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... aggression
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Fishmandavew
My cats species list: 52 (i:9, k:14)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 36
Location 2: Leeds, England

Post by Fishmandavew »

I have 4 Syno eupterus in the pond and they do not socialize generally, each hiding in their own space, even if it's just under their own bit of branch or in their own pipe. They are not outright bullying to each other but each go their own way. Had two in a six footer for a while and had same story. Added them to an 80g which a syno granulosus was already in and the granulosus left one alone and tore skin off the other in patches until it was removed.
Fishmandavew
My cats species list: 52 (i:9, k:14)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 36
Location 2: Leeds, England

Post by Fishmandavew »

Agree with victor, syno eat fish they can fit in their mouths. You may find well fed ones don't but it's a risk

Return to “African Catfishes”