Multiple featherfins in a tank, and a thank you

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
strangelynormal
Location 1: nyc
Location 2: usa

Multiple featherfins in a tank, and a thank you

Post by strangelynormal »

Is it true that featherfins should ideally be with other featherfins? are they better solitary or do they have conspecifics aggression? I've found conflicting information regarding this.

Also - I wanted to thank this particular community. A few years ago I posted about a featherfin with HITH/LLE, and because of your dietary recommendations (plant matter/Repashy Soilent Green) the white patches have not only stopped, but have all nearly reversed (last I came they began reversing). I can post photos tomorrow if you would like. But I wanted to give a a sincere thanks to the group that saved his life. :) I have made a point of spreading the word.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: Multiple featherfins in a tank, and a thank you

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

The experience of cohabiting more than one eupterus appears indeed variable, from near idyllic to outright savage. The size of tank and furniture play an important role. Other than that, I can't recall any factors that would always lead to an improvement.

I have been having 3 adults in a 240 gal for a few years and while there sometimes arise certainly some disagreements / hierarchy challenges and enforcements, overall I am pleased with their coexistence.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
jodilynn
I've donated: $84.00!
My cats species list: 85 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 7
Spotted: 41
Location 2: BeeEffaEe, MI

Post by jodilynn »

I have a fairly large group of mixed synos, I will say my Featherfin, Leo, while not the biggest is the oldest, and definately the "boss" of the tank. He mostly harasses my 2nd oldest, my hybrid Bullet, who is a bit younger and roughly the same size. They are very similar looking (I believe Bullet is a Eupterus mixed with something like a Petricola, due to his coloring and whitish edging on his fins) and are usually the only two out regularly cruising the tank (they'll eat out of my hand so basically they are always begging). Leo usually chases Bullet, but he will battle with my much bigger Decoras, Comet, for food. He does not really pay attention to my Pleurops, E.T., who is a bit larger but very mild tempered and basically just hangs on the filter all day till I feed them. Leo ignores all the smaller Synos.
I do hear some banging and splashing at night, and yes there is some chasing, but honestly I have a zebra danio that is WAY more terrorizing than any of the cats in that tank.
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Post by naturalart »

jodilynn wrote: 27 Mar 2019, 03:38 but honestly I have a zebra danio that is WAY more terrorizing than any of the cats in that tank.
Lol! Now that is rich. Thanks jodilynn

Return to “African Catfishes”