S.schoutedeni hybrid?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Dimidiata
My cats species list: 7 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Palmetto, FL
Location 2: United States

S.schoutedeni hybrid?

Post by Dimidiata »

Got this dude when he was tiny and the kind folks here were thinking schoutedeni, I definitely agree but he does seem a bit different. Figured id post a pic of him now that hes grown. He doesn't hold still of course. Takes better vids
Attachments
FB_IMG_1572741752376.jpg
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: S.schoutedeni hybrid?

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Hi neighbor!

Having looked through the Cat-eLog photos https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/sp ... ies_id=350 I'd superficially agree with the ID of schoutedeni. A couple things that concern me are the clearly different marking pattern on the head versus body and the rather blunt head or short snout, both of which may point toward a hybrid of sorts, IMHO.

But I am not expert. I hope they will chime in sooner or later. This site is not what it used to be in terms of attendance and one must be patient or even bump up their thread for attention.

Also the initial photos of schoutedeni in the Cat-eLog may feature a fish that's a departure from schoutedeni, unless they are that variable in the appearance of the markings.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: S.schoutedeni hybrid?

Post by Jools »

I'd like to see more pictures, but that tail pattern (which is not variable in S. schoutedeni) and the head shape and eye colour suggest this is a hybrid to me.

Jools

Return to “African Catfishes”