Zebra upside down a hybrid?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Zebra upside down a hybrid?

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

I saw some S.nigriventris today that looked like this http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/mo ... /624_f.php but much smaller lines, like the stomach pic, not the thick white bands. Is this an actualy species or a hybrid? They were 6.60...they looked like upside down schoutedenis...
cheers
Christian
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 229
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

No, I believe it's not a hybrid. As to whether it's a color variant of S. nigriventris or a separate species, I don't know, but I suspect it's just a variant.

Dinyar
Caol_ila

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

Can this fish be messed up with young S.sp."zebrinus"?Ii wasnt so sure the main difference that i saw was that these were actually lswimming upside down.
cheers
Christian
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

It is quite easy to tell the two apart. There is a picture in the CateLog of a zebrinus at about the size you'd see a "Zebra kutu", if you want to compare.

Rusty
Caol_ila

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

I finally got my hands on "supposedly" zebra kutus.
I know that i definately need a better cam but that will be decided today when my car comes "under the knife".

I ordered a bunch of african fishes last week 5 of them being labeled as Synodontis aff. nigriventris "Zebra Rückenschwimmer" (Rück.=USD) hoping theyd be kutus.
They do have the same belly pattern as the one in the elog, but the pattern/color isnt as sharp.
The pic doesnt help much to bring this into perspective but ill post some anyway.
trying get a good shot of one today...

If asked now with the "normal" brown+spotted nigriventris, the mottled pattern+spots nigriventris and these new ones id say its just a variation of pattern with the middle thing being a mix. but im not expert...:)
cheers
Christian
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 229
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

I'm not either, but I agree with your statement.

Dinyar
Caol_ila

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

Sorry for posting this link in my photo thread too but this is a fish from the batch that came in as zebra nigrventris. One of the lesser zebra like looking ones but also the smallest one. And if i remeber correctly this one has a dark belly with spots compared to the wormlike wavy lines on the other kutus. Also notice that this one has bronze eyes compared to white. Maybe this ones another species?
http://www.uni-mainz.de/~hauzc000/bilder/Synokutu.JPG (pic is big ~700kb)
cheers
Christian
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

What makes you think that this is not a nigriventris?
Caol_ila

Post by Caol_ila »

It was more a feeling than anything else...but he has a shorter adipose fin, bronze eyes, shorter barbels and a thinner humeral process...but youre the expert :) if you say its a normal one ill accept that. Its just that i get more confused the longer i compare them.
The different patterns are:
- brown with dark spots and black belly
- brown with dark spots and light bands and black belly
- brown with light and dark bands and black belly
- less brown but more alternating bands of dark brown, lighter brown, cream color with wavy lines on the belly. (this seems to be closest to zebra kutu...if there is such a thing)

I might catch them next week to make them more compareable.
cheers
Christian
Caol_ila

Post by Caol_ila »

What makes you think that this is not a nigriventris?
I totally forgot...it was sold as S.aff.nigriventris...
cheers
Christian
Caol_ila

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

If they are one species as it seems ill still post some pics of the variations. Maybe somebody is interested.
spotted and lined belly
most of them (middle one has a spotted belly, the right one was what i thought was S.nigriventris)
cheers
Christian
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

I have kept these for many years and am continually amazed at how colorful a group of them can be when they are feeling comfortable in a tank, the variation in colors and patterns seeming different for every fish, for me they revert back to the usually described drab fish when any but the most peaceful fish are introduced in with them, it would not surprise me to find out there is more than one species or different geographical variants as you are discussing (wishful thinking on my part).
I am now trying again to have them spawn after leaving them alone for almost two years thinking that maybe they need to be more mature and am trying some of the methods usually described for the pleco's.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Based on snout morphology and the shape of the humeral process, it appears that you may have two species, but that is all that can be said for now.
Caol_ila

Post by Caol_ila »

Thx HH
(and i was starting to think that im not only unnerving you but also going insane over these seeing phantoms) :)
cheers
Christian

Return to “African Catfishes”