Minimum tank size for Erethistes (Hara) horai

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
Picotopes
Location 1: Moorhead
Location 2: Minnesota

Minimum tank size for Erethistes (Hara) horai

Post by Picotopes »

The title says it all, what would be the minimum size of tank for ab Elongate moth cat, and could I keep them alone, or do they like groups?
Shovelnose
My articles: 5
My images: 116
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 60 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Mumbai
Location 2: India

Re: Minimum tank size for Erethistes (Hara) horai

Post by Shovelnose »

The minimum size I would recommend for a small group is 24*12*12 (inches). Fish like Dario spp., Badis spp., Lepidocephalichthys spp., Rasboroides spp. etc all make good tankmates.

That said, a bunch of Pseudolaguvia were exported under the label 'Elongate Moth Catfish' recently. There is a chance you could end up with either a Hara sp. or a Pseudolaguvia sp., more likely the latter.
Balaji

Vicar: It's about this letter you sent me regarding my insurance claim.
Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Vicar: But it says something about filling my mouth in with cement.
Devious: Oh well, that's just insurance jargon, you know.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

The fishes Shovelnose mentioned are all small. Very small, and therefore it is fitting to keep them in a very small tank.

If I'm informed correctly, in Germany it is forbidden to keep fish in a smaller tank, and I think they are right. As far as I know, Germany is the only country to heve regulated this.

The fish might accept a smaller tank, but the smaller the tank, the harder it is to keep it stable. Keeping a tank this size stable for a few years with only maintenance (that is, not making it dry) is quite a challence.
cats have whiskers
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:5)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

I kept several for years in a 20 gallon long and they did very well. They are not a very active fish, so do not need a lot of open swimming space. Mine gravitated towards the planted areas of the tank and appreciated a bit of current.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
medaka
Expert
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 5
My images: 66
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Runcorn.
Location 2: Cheshire.UK
Interests: Asiancatfish/corys

Post by medaka »

I too kept these in a 20 gallon (imperial) for some time. Like Shane says they are not very active; unless it is feeding time, and they do like some areas to disappear into and they do, do better with a good current in the water.

I think that some sources that show a photo of a Pseudolaguvia species, maybe do so because some years ago Fish Base erroneously used such a photo against Erethistes (Hara) horai, and people 'used' that photo in publications and on social media, etc.

Sadly I haven't seen any nice specimens of these in my area for many, many, years :(
I ‘Doc I can’t stop singing The Green, Green Grass of Home’
“That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome.
‘Is it common?’
“It’s not unusual.” :YMTONGUE:

Return to “Asian Catfishes”