New Hara Hara

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
CatWhat
My cats species list: 16 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Newfoundland,Canada

New Hara Hara

Post by CatWhat »

Yesterday I received my order of 12 Hara hara. They all seem to be doing well and are a good bit active considering they are catfish. I'm hoping to take a stab at breeding them at some point, though I know this may be challenge. I took a couple of pics of them floating and their setup.

bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: New Hara Hara

Post by bekateen »

Very nice. Good luck with them! What is your substrate made of? Are burrowers?

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Post by catfishchaos »

bekateen wrote:Very nice. Good luck with them! What is your substrate made of? Are burrowers?

Cheers, Eric
Hara are not burrowers but enjoy a sand base, They like to swim into plants and sit there but will make use of cave like structures and drift wood crevices all the same!

I don't think there has been a recorded spawning of however the man that wrote the COTM for managed to breed the and I think it would be similar....

Heres the link
http://www.asiancatfish.com/page24/page ... age32.html

Keep us updated!
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
KungFish
My cats species list: 5 (i:1, k:0)
My Wishlist: 109
Location 1: usa
Location 2: Texas
Interests: Biotopes, Video games, reading, music, photography.

Post by KungFish »

They look a bit like H. jerdoni (long pelvic fin spines)...
catfishchaos
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Post by catfishchaos »

KungFish wrote:They look a bit like H. jerdoni (long pelvic fin spines)...

If you look closely You can tell they are definitely not Because of the membrane between the pectoral fin and the body. Hara jerdoni just have pectoral spines, little to no membrane around the pectorals.

They might be another Hara but they are not
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
CatWhat

Post by CatWhat »

Yeah, I started to look more closely at their fins in attempt to distinguish them from jerdoni and hara hara. Like it was mentioned above, they certainly do have more membrane then the jerdoni. I have been trying them on some frozen and some flake to see what they might take to, but they are not too eager for food yet. Though they are active. The substrate is local beach sand. Here's a quick video. Hopefully it isn't too choppy.
http://vid1110.photobucket.com/albums/h ... 0kn653.mp4
catfishchaos

Post by catfishchaos »

My took frozen brine shrimp and frozen blood worms right of the bat but they had not eaten for a month at the store I bought them from. I gave mine close to a week before trying though.

Great video! I would have never guessed they swim so much like wood cats! Even when my Jerdoni are frantic they still move pretty slow, nothing like that!
CatWhat

Post by CatWhat »

Yeah they are certainly more active then I figured they might during the day anyway. They are liking the frozen blood worms that's for sure. I'm hoping to give them some time to settle in a start eating a full array of food and get them in breeding condition. I know reports are few and far between but I will try the egg collection tray method which is the same method I use for some of my egg scatters.
CatWhat

Post by CatWhat »

The Hara hara are still doing well. They are still not too keen on taking pellet foods so I am still feeding them frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp and sprulina brineshrimp.I haven't been keeping an extremely close eye on them for any breeding behaviors but I think just as in the link in a previous post I will place a egg/breeding trap in the tank with them. Just in the unlikely case they have been spawning and I haven't seen it happen.
catfishchaos

Post by catfishchaos »

Are you sure you updated correctly? I didn't see any pictures ;)

Good luck spawning them, it would be awesome to see some fry progression pics!
CatWhat

Post by CatWhat »

Quick video of the setup after adding some almond leaves.
http://vid1110.photobucket.com/albums/h ... grcwrq.mp4
smitty
My images: 3
My cats species list: 57 (i:18, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Yeadon, Pennyslvania USA
Location 2: Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Interests: Aquariums/Bicycling/Cooking

Post by smitty »

Looks like they are coming along well. They look healthy and active.
150gal- No Plecos; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC P.Heads; Eheim2217, 2260
180gal- Plecos (9): L001/L022 (1M), L023, L083/L165, L137, L190, Rhino (1M, 1F), Trinidad (2); 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260; Fluval FX5
210gal- Plecos (5): L014 (2), L050; 4 AC P.Filters; 2AC P.Heads; Eheim 2250,2262; Fluval FX5;
catfishchaos

Post by catfishchaos »

Looking good!

Return to “Asian Catfishes”