Mystus bimaculatus - ready to roll

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
Cheep-Cheep
My cats species list: 5 (i:3, k:0)
Location 1: Columbia, Missouri
Location 2: United States

Mystus bimaculatus - ready to roll

Post by Cheep-Cheep »

As some of you may recall, I posted here a few months ago, looking for Mystus bimaculatus, the Sumatran Two-Spot Catfish. I had ordered a group from The Wet Spot, which somehow were all males. Anyway, they recently became available again there, and I made an order this past week. I spoke to the sales associate, explaining what had happened, and requested as many females as possible. I relayed how males possess a genital papilla, anterior to the anal fin, whereas females do not. Much to my pleasant surprise, someone there took the time to accommodate my request & sent me a group of all females!

So now, I have a nice-sized, mixed-sex group & intend to spawn them this year, if possible. From what I've found, information on them is rather lacking, and I don't believe they've been bred in aquaria au naturel. However, given their native habitat, I believe we can make certain inferences about their requirements. Seeing as how so many other species that share their habitat are regularly bred in aquaria (gouramies, bettas, rasboras, etc.), I see no reason why they should be impossible to breed at home. I plan to set them up with high quality diet, soft water, and various spawning media (floating spawning mops, eggs traps, caves) and see what happens. If anyone has any insight or suggestions to share, I'd be most appreciative. Thanks all, and wish me luck.
Keep calm, and do water changes.

Return to “Asian Catfishes”