Eristhes jerdoni habitat?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
Narelle
I've donated: $44.00!
My cats species list: 9 (i:4, k:4)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:38)
My Wishlist: 133
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Texas
Location 2: USA

Eristhes jerdoni habitat?

Post by Narelle »

In a previous discussion on this forum, it was pointed out to me that is a whitewater fish, and not blackwater, as I'd thought. There has been some interest recently in this species in a hobbyist group I'm a part of, and those starting to keep them are under the same impression I had been, that they are blackwater fish. I'd like to politely correct them, so that they might keep their fish in more appropriate conditions for the health of the animals, but it doesn't exactly seem particularly compelling to only be able to reference one person's say so to justify my claims. The only other thing I have to back that up is the high DO requirement.

So I've been sifting through what scientific literature I'm able to access, but I'm not really having any luck. All I can find are lists of species found in a particular body of water, but nothing about the conditions in that body or what parts of it each fish is found in. I also tried to follow sources cited by fishbase in their short notes about habitat, but I can't access those.

Does anyone know of any sources that discuss actual conditions this fish is found in?
Alternatively, if I can't seem to find any, the next best thing I imagine I'd be able to offer is a reference to this thread, if there's some discussion about it. One comment from one person I'd regard as an expert doesn't make for a strong argument, but a discussion by multiple experts on the subject could.
Huge fan and collector of Bagrid catfishes.
Graduate student, studying systematic ichthyology.
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Re: Eristhes jerdoni habitat?

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
You could refer them to the water parameters in the breeding article in "Shane's World" <"https://www.planetcatfish.com/shaneswor ... cle_id=535">.

A planted tank, with reasonable water flow, would help with both water quality and oxygenation. The main issue may be keeping the water cool enough for them, I'd look at an external filter or air powered filtration.

cheers Darrel
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

dw1305 wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 14:58The main issue may be keeping the water cool enough for them, I'd look at an external filter or air powered filtration.
Matten filter might work well - put enough air through it and you get a good splash at the water surface .

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Shovelnose
My articles: 5
My images: 116
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 60 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Mumbai
Location 2: India

Post by Shovelnose »

Narelle wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 13:33Does anyone know of any sources that discuss actual conditions this fish is found in?
Erethistes jerdoni don't really need flow, they need good DO and well filtered water. Providing plants will help replicate their natural habitat.
Balaji

Vicar: It's about this letter you sent me regarding my insurance claim.
Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Vicar: But it says something about filling my mouth in with cement.
Devious: Oh well, that's just insurance jargon, you know.

Return to “Asian Catfishes”