Does my glass catfish have ick? Perhaps pregnant?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
_Ben
Location 1: Nashville, TN
Location 2: United States

Does my glass catfish have ick? Perhaps pregnant?

Post by _Ben »

Hi, I have four glass catfish and today I noticed one of the
has white fuzzy spots inside. I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what it is. Ick? Eggs maybe?

I have attached a picture, and you can see a video here - https://vimeo.com/233018034
Attachments
04FFC41E-0068-4DE2-AF56-168E355F5787.jpeg
Lycosid
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:2)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: United States
Location 2: North Carolina

Re: Does my glass catfish have ick? Perhaps pregnant?

Post by Lycosid »

_Ben wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 18:33 Hi, I have four glass catfish and today I noticed one of the
has white fuzzy spots inside. I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what it is. Ick? Eggs maybe?
Not eggs. That shiny sack in the anterior section of the body is where almost all the organs are in a glass cat. While reproduction isn't very well known in these guys eggs should fill in regularly from that point (or expand it) whereas these spots are more or less randomly distributed. That looks more like an infection working its way in from the outside than anything that started inside the animal.

I have a pretty good school of these guys (13) but I've never seen them start doing this. However, when dead they turn opaque white, so I guess it's possible that these are injuries that have killed the cells, turning them white, instead of infection.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

I´ve had the species once, and every fish that died ,started looking a bit opaque, and than more untill it died.

Don´t know what it is, though
cats have whiskers
N0body Of The Goat
My cats species list: 25 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Southampton
Location 2: UK
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

Post by N0body Of The Goat »

Having just seen the video as well as the photo, I think a few things could be causing issues here...

These catfish, just like my 25 Pareutropius mandvillei, do much better in sizeable groups of ~12+. It makes them far less nervous. It's a few years old now, but a video clip of my African midwater cats...

I'm not sure I would choose to put them with semi-boisterous tankmates like Platties, especially when there is just a few Glass Catfish.

They might appreciate having a long side of the tank covered by something dark (I removed my dark cover to shoot video above) as well as having something in the tank that casts some shadow towards the darkened tank side, to give them an area where they feel safer.

I'm not great as diagnosing fish diseases, it doesn't look like Ich to me, but this specimen doesn't look in great health either. Is it being attacked by the other three Glass Catfish (in low numbers, many social species get anti-social), or other fish in the tank, perhaps at feeding time?
Dreaming of a full-on 5x2x2 Zaire River rapids biotope...
Lycosid
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:2)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: United States
Location 2: North Carolina

Post by Lycosid »

N0body Of The Goat wrote: 09 Sep 2017, 10:01 These catfish, just like my 25 Pareutropius mandvillei, do much better in sizeable groups of ~12+. It makes them far less nervous.
I have a species tank of glass cats, 13 of them, never any issues. So I second this.
They might appreciate having a long side of the tank covered by something dark (I removed my dark cover to shoot video above) as well as having something in the tank that casts some shadow towards the darkened tank side, to give them an area where they feel safer.
Mine always hang out in dark spots and corners. I try to give them lots of vegetation. I'm in the process of switching the group from one tank to another, and they are far more active in the dim tank. (However, water quality is better in the other tank which can support live plants, and these also cast shadows.)

Return to “Asian Catfishes”