Fossil Catfish , tank mates , temperment , feeding ?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
Aqua_Bankie
I've donated: $50.00!
My cats species list: 14 (i:7, k:0)
Location 2: Glasgow

Fossil Catfish , tank mates , temperment , feeding ?

Post by Aqua_Bankie »

My LFS has some Fossil Catfish in stock , first time iv seen these critters , having checked the cat log , and other sources I know about the venomous sting !! .

Anyone keep this species singularly with other tank mates and what’s its temperament like ?
It would be sharing with Four Reed fish , A Four line Pim (Blochii) , Red tail shark , Leopard Bush fish and a Electric Blue Jack Dempsey all are adults the Fossil is about 6 inches in size.

How easy are these guy to take dry foods pellets ?

Oh and about that sting , I assume I would have to be very unlucky and allergic to it, or the sting would have to penetrate hard and I didnt treat it right away ...obviously I’m not scared just asking for a friend ..um b-) :d
Fishmandavew
My cats species list: 52 (i:9, k:14)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 36
Location 2: Leeds, England

Re: Fossil Catfish , tank mates , temperment , feeding ?

Post by Fishmandavew »

My pair currently live with a musk turtle and get on fine. Quite easy going fish, not agressive although sometimes disagree with each other. Feeding is easy as will accept flake readily but also like frozen bloodworm.
As for the sting, i think these have something a little more potent than just a bad allergic reaction sting. Would asvise proper caution when handling, especially as they have a habit of getting stuck in nets.
When thinking care, think small/ baby clarias.
In my experience, they would get on ok with your stock although would appreciate some pipes to hide in, although your blochii is gonna get big(8-10")
My pair of fossils are still only 5" m and 7" f after 18 months
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Post by catfishchaos »

Venom in general is not something to be taken lightly- different venoms target different systems in your body and either temporarily impair them or shut them down/destroy them. I can't speak for the venom of as I don't know its chemical properties or its affects on the human body but any venom with human fatalities to its name demands respect. Even venoms without such claims should be treated as they could. My brother got stung by a when he was 10 which I believe is much less venomous but still the pain was intense enough to send him into shock.

I would treat this venom like I would treat any other medically significant species of animal. Even if you aren't allergic to a venom, you can become so. Some scorpion venoms desensitize your immune system so the next time your stung your more likely to have a severe reaction. A women recently died during bee acupuncture (apparently a thing...) even though she had undergone that process several times before.

First of all buy an epipen to keep close to the tank and make sure to swap it out when it expires.

Never use your hand in the aquarium unless the catfish are secured in or out of the tank.

Have a extremely secure lid a) because they are walking cats b) toxic ones.

If you have a family, roommates, spouse, children or other make sure everyone understands what could happen and what to do if it does. Also have the tank and Lid labeled with Caution- Extremely Venomous and the scientific name.

Use tools with long handles- algae scrubbers, syphon, tweezers, nets (not for catching them but for pulling out debris). Scape the tank in a way that allows the fish to feel secure but also allows you to know where they are at any given time. another option would be to make or find a trap box that they could use as a hiding space and you could close them into when you had to do maintenance.

Have a maintenance routine and adhere to every step and every precaution religiously.

Don't fear the animal you keep, its not productive and won't keep you safe. With that said respect will. Understand what this animal is capable of, the possible outcomes of working with it and then ultimately decide if thats something worth keeping to you.

I'm sure this seems excessive and thats because it is. I'm not trying to scare you away from , in fact its a fish that fascinates me and I would love to work with. I just want to give you pause on something that demands it and I hope that the tone of this message does exactly that, my apologies if it comes across as anything else.

Regards
James
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
Aqua_Bankie

Post by Aqua_Bankie »

Thanks to you both for the feedback it's appreciated, In the end, I never went with the Fossil and it was nothing to do with the venom of the cat, just ended finding a different cat that I wanted more.

catfishchaos / James no need to apologize your post was great and to the point and to be honest, I would have aired caution like I normally do with any fish maintenance, I was stung by a Pareutropius buffei in my younger fish keeping days and learned from it

Cheers
Redtailrob
My cats species list: 48 (i:20, k:11)
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Hertfordshire
Location 2: England
Interests: Rare Catfish, P Bass, Predatory Fish, Sport Mad, Boxing, Thai Boxing, Weight Lifting, Nutrition, Fishing, Oceanography, sharks, Natural world, Travel, Culture, Good coffee, Good wine, Foodie

Post by Redtailrob »

Hi Aqua bankie
Shame you didn't go with this fish!
I'd love to own a few again.
Where were the ones you sore a few months back?
Aqua_Bankie

Post by Aqua_Bankie »

Hi Redtailrob,

only just seen your post.

I almost purchased it but came across an ornate pim on my travels so went with that.

they were in a Maidenhead aquatics aka fishkeeper up in scotland, they haven't had them in again.

I would guess most maidenhead aquatics could order some in for you ?

Cheers

Return to “Asian Catfishes”