Hara surface feeding video

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
A Dutch friend ("zozo") on the UKAPS forum has been keeping for a couple of years now, and he posted this video of some very interesting feeding behaviour.

Thr complete thread is at <https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/hara-jerdoni.39864/>

I asked if I could post it here and he said yes and he is keen to see any comments.

This is his post
.........Mine go nuts on the crustaceans and rotifiers i feed daily scooped from an outdoor bucket filled with water, moss and leaf litter. Any time they are all over the place........Since i'm keeping these fish for 2 years now and never seen this behaivor before, till i started feeding daily with small life micro food from a few fishless tubs and buckets i have in the garden. And since then they are extremely active all over the place and what the video shows i see every day.
cheers Darrel
Barrycal
Location 1: United Kingdom
Location 2: United Kingdom
Interests: Auto racing, motorcross

Post by Barrycal »

The Hara hara are still doing well. They are still not too keen on taking pellet foods so I am still feeding them frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp and sprulina brineshrimp.I havent been keeping an extremely close eye on them for any breeding behaviors but I think just as in the link in a previous post I will place a egg/breeding trap in the tank with them. Just in the unlikely case they have been spawning and I havent seen it happen.
jodilynn
I've donated: $84.00!
My cats species list: 85 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 7
Spotted: 41
Location 2: BeeEffaEe, MI

Re: Hara surface feeding video

Post by jodilynn »

Barrycal wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 13:24 The Hara hara are still doing well. They are still not too keen on taking pellet foods so I am still feeding them frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp and sprulina brineshrimp.I havent been keeping an extremely close eye on them for any breeding behaviors but I think just as in the link in a previous post I will place a egg/breeding trap in the tank with them. Just in the unlikely case they have been spawning and I havent seen it happen.
Hi! I just bought two of these little guys and I quite adore them. I am hoping the LFS I got them from is going to get more.

My question is, do they eat Malaysian Trumpet snails? I have (or rather seem to have "had") quite the population of them in the quarantine tank the Stone Cats are in. However, I looked in there today and I see mostly empty shells. My little dudes seem pretty healthy and robust.

Has anyone observed this?
Attachments
20200203_215348(1).jpg

Return to “Asian Catfishes”