Shadow Catfish (Hyalobagrus flavus)?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
WhistlingBadger
Location 1: Wind River Country
Location 2: Wyoming
Interests: 150g planted tank with rainbows, emerald cories, zebra loaches, and panda garra.

When I'm not wrangling fish, I can usually be found running up and down mountains, shooting primitive bows at edible animals, playing celtic music, and trying to keep track of my wife and daughter.

Shadow Catfish (Hyalobagrus flavus)?

Post by WhistlingBadger »

Hi, everybody. Haven't been around for a while as I had to tear down all but one of my tanks and get out of the catfish business a while back. But now, settling into a new house, the urge has hit me again, and I am designing a Sumatran rice paddy biotope nano tank. Hoping to build the tank over the holidays, and stock it sometime in late spring or so.

I would love to put a few Shadow Catfish (Hyalobagrus flavus) in this tank, but nobody in the U.S.A. seems to have them. Any ideas?

Also, anybody have any experience with these? I'd love any first-hand info. Thanks and happy holidays--
Thomas
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: Shadow Catfish (Hyalobagrus flavus)?

Post by Shane »

One of my favorite bagrids. To thrive long term they need soft, acidic water and are best kept in a group in a planted tank. They are available from time to time, but in the U.S. they can be difficult to find. I would call The Wet Spot in Portland. Availability may be a seasonal thing and Steve could tell you when they will be available.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
WhistlingBadger
Location 1: Wind River Country
Location 2: Wyoming
Interests: 150g planted tank with rainbows, emerald cories, zebra loaches, and panda garra.

When I'm not wrangling fish, I can usually be found running up and down mountains, shooting primitive bows at edible animals, playing celtic music, and trying to keep track of my wife and daughter.

Re: Shadow Catfish (Hyalobagrus flavus)?

Post by WhistlingBadger »

Thanks, Shane. We moved recently and I just the other day discovered the box with my water test kits. Assuming my water is soft enough, I'll give TWS a call.

T

Return to “Asian Catfishes”