Mystus gulio info

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
FatCatDoorMat
My images: 7
My cats species list: 21 (i:5, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 13
Spotted: 22
Location 1: kolkata
Location 2: West Bengal

Mystus gulio info

Post by FatCatDoorMat »

Hi all! Can you give insights on your experiences with Mystus gulio and similar species? What is their temperament towards their own species and other catfish? Do they eat small tankmates?
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: Mystus gulio info

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I've kept a few Mystus long time ago, I think mysteticus or bimaculatus or some such. Not gulio. I don't recall them giving me any problems in a heavily scaped and populated tank with very diverse tank mates, most of them smaller to medium catfish.

Almost any catfish, including Mystus, would prey on fish small enough to swallow, sooner or later.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
FatCatDoorMat
My images: 7
My cats species list: 21 (i:5, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 13
Spotted: 22
Location 1: kolkata
Location 2: West Bengal

Post by FatCatDoorMat »

Viktor Jarikov wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 20:00 I've kept a few Mystus long time ago, I think mysteticus or bimaculatus or some such. Not gulio. I don't recall them giving me any problems in a heavily scaped and populated tank with very diverse tank mates, most of them smaller to medium catfish.

Almost any catfish, including Mystus, would prey on fish small enough to swallow, sooner or later.
Thanks for the reply. As far as I can tell, all the external wounds seemed to be healed
However, I saw a worm like thing sticking out of its mouth. After a failed catching attempt, I saw there wasn't any worm thingy anymore.HOWEVER, to add to my woes, I saw what appeared to be a fluke on the left barbel of the Mystus cat. It must have appeared overnight because the barbel was okay before. It might be flaked skin too, but I am very confused to say the least. Has any of these symptoms appeared on any your cats?
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Not that I can recall.

Was this gulio from the wild and untreated when it came to you? If so, have you treated it at least against external parasites? What you are describing could be some mobile parasite, a mouth / gill dweller, or maybe argus aka fish lice?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “Asian Catfishes”