Hoplosternum / Lepthoplosternum question

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
cwindram
I've donated: $25.00!
Location 1: Massachusetts, USA

Hoplosternum / Lepthoplosternum question

Post by cwindram »

Greetings Catfishionados,

My thanks to you all, as I have received excellent advice and no small measure of education in the past from these forums. Today I have another question:

I have recently obtained a group of 4 beautiful Hoplosternum or Lepthoplosternum species - somewhat similar in appearance to what I have seen pictured in various texts and on the internet as Hoplosternum pectorale, but the spots on my fish are much larger and bolder than as seen in most photos. I must assume that the fish I have are juveniles - the largest is perhaps 3 inches long.

In any case, one fish seems to have lost part of a barbel, perhaps to a nippy Betta kept in the same tank. I have moved the Catfish to their own tank now, so they won't have to deal with the Betta. My question is, is this barbel likely to regrow?

Also, I believe that one of the fish has ich - he has been moved to quarantine, and is medicating. I successfully dealt with several Aspidoras a couple of years ago, and I hope that this Hoplo will fare as well, but if anyone has any advice, I am most certainly open for suggestions, as my experience is limited.

My thanks, and best wishes to all,

C Windram
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

My question is, is this barbel likely to regrow?
Yes (if you keep the water conditions good).
cwindram

Post by cwindram »

Silurus,

Thank you for your reply - I will maintain high water quality and monitor the fish - he looks a bit better today, I believe.

Best wishes

C Windram
cwindram

Post by cwindram »

These fish which I now believe are Megalechis thoracata are doing fine, with nice long barbels and very good overall health.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/sp ... cies_id=14

No sign of breeding yet, which I am hoping for at some point.

Thanks again for the help.

Best wishes,

Chris

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”