Guess what I happened to stumble upon..

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
babydragon149
Location 1: Saskatoon, SK
Interests: Aquaria

Guess what I happened to stumble upon..

Post by babydragon149 »

Hello everyone. Thank-you for letting me join your group :D . I myself have never owned any species of corydoras up until about 12 hours ago. There are montly auctions in my city for fish fanatics such as myself. Today I went and picked up some corydoras barbatus. I heard these fish were quite amazing so I quickly scooped them up before anyone else realized what they were passing by for only $17 canadian dollars. I let them loose into my 150 gallon and they seem to be doing OK so far. I was wondering just a few things though, if I may ask a few questions here.
1) I only have 4 juveniles. Is this a decent amount for a 150 gallon :?:
2) Do they have any special feeding requirements? Anything I should be adding into the diet of flake food, algea wafers and occasional zuchini (for the plecos) and bloodworms :?:
3) Will they eat snails :?:
4) Will they do well with 2 larger sailfin plecostamus :?: (around 10")
5) Will they destroy plants such as siral vals, hornwort, amazon sword, water lettuce :?:
I suppose that this is more than a few questions, but I would love to see these beauties fully-grown someday :!: I'll promise to post some pictures as soon as I can :!:
thank-you again :!:
Christina
Babydragon149 :twisted:
150 gallon (planted)- 5 juvenile pterophyllum dumerilli, 4 juvenile corydoras barbatus, 2 10" sailfin plecostamus, 1 neon tetra, 1 male guppy, 1 female and 1 male betta splendens.
33 gallon- 7 butterfly comet goldfish, 4 snails.
please visit my fish forum @ http://groups.yahoo.com/group/molliesgu ... wordtails/
kwalker
I've donated: $236.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 55 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 16 (i:2, p:392)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: SPENCER,OHIO USA
Location 2: spencer,ohio united states
Interests: breeding catfish from all parts of the world and getting them into the hobby. favorite catfish is the stonecat madtom,btw ingo how are my fish

Re: Guess what I happened to stumble upon..

Post by kwalker »

babydragon149 wrote:.
1) I only have 4 juveniles. Is this a decent amount for a 150 gallon :?:
:

you may loose the cory's in the 150. all joking aside these are great cory's particularly if you feed them a rich diet. also something to remember is they do come from cooler waters. and a temp of around 68 degrees f. to 72 degrees is more than adequate. much warmer than that may stress the fish. enjoy your find.

ken walker
" CATFISH, THE ONLY REAL AQUARIUM FISH"
Kostas
I've donated: $256.00!
My images: 19
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Greece,Athens
Location 2: Greece,Athens
Interests: Fishkeeping,diving,skiing,r/c modeling,growing Palm trees,ferns and tropical plants

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
They will do quite well with your plecos.Sailfn plecos dont hert small fishes.
5) Will they destroy plants such as siral vals, hornwort, amazon sword, water lettuce
They wont destroy your plants but may uproot newly planted ones

Hope that i helped a little
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

The C. barbatus should be OK with the plant and any othe tank mates, but as has already been stated they do not like their environment to warm, I would be more woried about the sail fin, at 10 inches just moving about could cause plant to be up-rooted or damaged.

Ian
babydragon149

cory's

Post by babydragon149 »

Yeah, my plecos do uproot many plants, unfortunately. The temperature is cooler than tropical. It stays at around 74F. I hope this is still not too much, I just have always had it this way, the fish do fine and it is difficult to heat a 150 gallon. thank-you very much for the help, but may I ask what I can feed the cory's?? thanks again!
babydragon149 :twisted:
150 gallon (planted)- 5 juvenile pterophyllum dumerilli, 4 juvenile corydoras barbatus, 2 10" sailfin plecostamus, 1 neon tetra, 1 male guppy, 1 female and 1 male betta splendens.
please visit my fish forum @ http://groups.yahoo.com/group/molliesgu ... wordtails/
kwalker
I've donated: $236.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 55 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 16 (i:2, p:392)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: SPENCER,OHIO USA
Location 2: spencer,ohio united states
Interests: breeding catfish from all parts of the world and getting them into the hobby. favorite catfish is the stonecat madtom,btw ingo how are my fish

Re: cory's

Post by kwalker »

babydragon149 wrote: thank-you very much for the help, but may I ask what I can feed the cory's??
feeding these cory's properly is very important. i have found that my friends that keep them for breeding purposes primarily use live foods. a combination of white worms and black worms. there is a place in california that does ship black worms all over the united states. i will try to get the link for you. also a good staple food would be sinking shrimp pellets. i hope this helps.

ken walker
440-821-5818
" CATFISH, THE ONLY REAL AQUARIUM FISH"
madattiver
My cats species list: 35 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:114)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Saskatoon, Sk, Canada

Post by madattiver »

i was actually at that auction and remeber you.. and u outbid my dad on those cory's... nice catch at $17 for them. one thing on these cory's.. the water should be kept below 74 degrees for them to live a healthy life. as for feeding.. i feed all my cory's frozen bloodworms and sinking pellets (both shrimp and other mixed pellets) as well as i give them brine shrimp and flake food. so it sounds like the food you feed will do just fine for the corys.

didn't you get some of those nice swordtails at the auction too??? i was wanting to grab them but have no available space at this time for them
babydragon149

Post by babydragon149 »

didn't you get some of those nice swordtails at the auction too??? i was wanting to grab them but have no available space at this time for them -madattiver
I was very interested in those swordtails, but I wasn't too sure how much room they would have needed, or if they could be housed with my other fishies, so I decided not to take a risk with them. Maybe they will come up again? I'm sorry you didn't get the cories.. I feel kind of bad about it :( . You obviously know a little bit more than I do about them, and perhaps they would be better for you, but I'm trying to make them at home. I keep the tank temperature at 74 now. Thank-you for the advice. I'll be sure to grab some shrimp things. I've got this food called "garammus", which look like little bug-shrimp things. Maybe the cory's can try to eat those. what type of aquarium(s) do you have? I need a home for a 10" plecostamus because mine are starting to tolerate each other less and less.. let me know if you are interested!
madattiver
My cats species list: 35 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:114)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Saskatoon, Sk, Canada

Post by madattiver »

ya.. those swords would have looked nice full grown.. maybe they will come up again.. who knows.. especially since next month is the giant auction.. u will never know what will come up in this one coming up.

don't be sorry about the cory's... that's how things go.. u don't always get what u want. and i am sure they will do fine with you.. and grow nice and big in that aquarium u have. as long as it doesn't get too warm... and they get their fair share of food... they will do good there. the shrimp pellets i use are wardley's.. and they are the cheapest at walmart.

as for the aquariums... i have a 25 gal, 2-10 gal, 1-15 gal (??), and 3 2 gals that i use for raising fry and spawning. and maybe after this weekend i will have 2 more 1 gal tanks for more cory's. they are getting a little crowded together in the tanks they are in now and would like to separate them into their own species per tank to help them with spawning. and my dad has a 150-200 gal tank.. not quite sure on the exact size.. all i know is it is at least 150 gals and is around 7" long.

as for the pleco.. i will check with my dad.. see if he needs on.. as for me.. i don't think it would fit in any of my tanks.

keep me updated on those cory's.. very nice find at the price you got them at.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Uhh, this conversation is starting to get too private. Can you move this off-forum, please?

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”