Has anyone ever had Camallanus worms

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
andy77aus
Location 2: Melbourne, Australia

Has anyone ever had Camallanus worms

Post by andy77aus »

Hi,
I've had something wrong with my fish for about a week now. They weren't eating very much and doing white clear poos. Earlier today I looked closely and noticed that a couple of my butterfly rams had little red worms sticking out their bums so I googled it and it appears they have Camallanus worms. The best thing I could find recommend was Levamisole (Used for farm animals). I've dosed that tank at 2ppm as recommended. I'm just wondering has anyone ever had any success with this at all and did you have to do follow up treatments? Cheers

Andrew.
jiangliang
Location 2: china

Re: Has anyone ever had Camallanus worms

Post by jiangliang »

we use this drug in Shanghai,China to remove the red worm from the bristlenose.It does work very well and no harm to the fish.I just put some pills of this drug into the small tank,wait for 24-48 hours,the red worm got stiffed and could not contract back to the ass of fish.Some of the worm will come out,some need to be pulled out by your hands.
andy77aus

Post by andy77aus »

[quote="some need to be pulled out by your hands.[/quote]

Sounds pretty intensive! So it works well then. I've had it for about 3 hours now, apparently I'm supposed to see them crapping worms?
jiangliang

Post by jiangliang »

AT this time tmw,take out the infected fish,turn it upside down,if the worm can't stiff back,account for the drug works,pull out the worms with a little tweezers.Fortunately,the "drugged" worm will come out with the poo of the fish.GOOD LUCK~
andy77aus

Post by andy77aus »

Ok cool thanks, I'll check how they are doing tomorrow.

Andrew
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
Don't try to remove them with tweezers, the nematode worms themselves are actually transparent, they are red because they are plumbed into the fishes intestinal blood supply.

Levamisole at 2mg/l is successful with most cases, although by the time the worms are visible it is often too late to safe the fish. If you search PC for Levamisole <http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/sear ... mit=Search> you will find plenty of people who have had the misfortune to experience these.

Have a look at this article from the excellent "Loaches on-line" <http://www.loaches.com/Members/shari2/l ... chloride-1>.

cheers Darrel
CoryWally
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:75)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Boston Spa, West Yorks, U.K.

Post by CoryWally »

Does wormerplus (flubendazole) work on them?
jiangliang

Post by jiangliang »

dw1305 wrote:Hi all,
Don't try to remove them with tweezers, the nematode worms themselves are actually transparent, they are red because they are plumbed into the fishes intestinal blood supply.

Levamisole at 2mg/l is successful with most cases, although by the time the worms are visible it is often too late to safe the fish. If you search PC for Levamisole <http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/sear ... mit=Search> you will find plenty of people who have had the misfortune to experience these.

Have a look at this article from the excellent "Loaches on-line" <http://www.loaches.com/Members/shari2/l ... chloride-1>.

cheers Darrel
学习了!
andy77aus

Post by andy77aus »

Well, I waited 24 hrs with levasole at 2mg/L and then looked to see if any worms were still poking out of any fishes bums. The dwarf chiclids were all clear but one of the angels still had worms so I put him in a separate bucket and upped the dosage to 10mg/l. When I was vacuuming i found a few of the long poos with slime coating. So it's obviously works on the most part. the only problem is I have 3 plecos in the tank and it's hard to catch them to check their bums (have to wait till they suck on the glass.
Anyway I've changed the water and they are all looking fine and well at this stage. I will treat again in 1 week. Also I will soak blood worms in Levasole and feed them those prior to the next dosing. I think I will treat them for 4 weeks just to be sure to eradicate these worms for good.
I'll keep you posted.
Cheers
Andrew
andy77aus

Post by andy77aus »

New update

I rang a vet and got a prescription for panacur (fenzbenidole). This means I won't have to go through the massive drama of water changes, removing carbon etc. Fenzbinidole can be soaked into their food and kills eggs and all. I even managed to get a specimen of the worm from the angel I separated. It pooed it out.
From now on any new fish I buy I will feed it treated worms for 2 weeks before putting it in the main tank. This could easily happen to anyone as apparently most fish shops only do 2 weeks quarantine, but this worm may take upto 4 months to develop any visible signs. So there you go!

Andrew

Return to “Tank Talk”