Corydoras schultzei

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Corydoras schultzei

Post by Yann »

Hi!
I have seen on Ian's website a pic of Corydoras schultzei.
This Corydoras was before put in synonym with Coryodras aeneus but obviously the fish pictured in Ian's website, seem to belong to the Coryodras elegans group and except the colour ain't much looking like Corydoras aenues shape spaeking.
So here is my question: Is Coryodras schultzei hte Corydoras that we were keeping under Coryodras aeneus or not!
If not what is the origine of this "new " Coryodras
Alos Coryodras aeneus is currently a mess with so many colour form. Which one is likely to be kept under that name?
So far I ahve been to see colour morph of Coryodras aeneus, the "schultzei" like and one that look pretty close but miss the " gold line" on the side over that bronze marke!
Secondly what differences is there between Corydoras aeneus " schultzei" ( the one we tought it was schultzei) and Coryodras aeneus Peru Gold Stripe.
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

This one is a bit tricky, as you say, C. aeneus is allegedly very wide spread and vary variable in colour pattern, which is something that I cannot quite accept. The picture that I show is what I consider to be the true C. schultzi but I may be wrong.

The type specimens of C. aeneus were described from the Island of Trinidad, the nearest land mass is Venezeula with which has been separated from for something in the region of 50 million years, Those fish that were left on Trinidad evolved from what ever they looked like then to what we have now, or should I say to what was described by Gil, 1858. The fish remaining on the main South American continent in that same length of time would have been spread far and wide by all sorts of methods such as flooding, volcanic/ earth quakes and would have most certainly evolved to take advantage of the environmental conditions they foung themselves in.

Back to your questions. I personally think that the so called 'Aeneus Group' of fishes consists of at least four or even more speciec. I believe that there is some work being done at the moment to sort them out.

I have yet to see any C. aeneus specimens from Trinidad, the nearest are some wild caught specimens I have from Venezeula. http://www.corydoras.pwp.blueyonder.co. ... us_htm.htm
these are not large fish like some we see from Peru and Colombia but because they look similar they are all called C. aeneus I don't think I nave really answered your questions but untill a review of the group is completed we will have to content ourselves with such terms as 'Gold stripe' 'Peru green stripe' 'Laser green' and what ever other names the trade puts on them.

Ian :? :?
Yann
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi Ian!

Thanks for the information.
I have several Coryodras aeneus that looks like the one you have pictured on your website
ARe these from Venezuela, if yes do they live with Corydoras venezuelus
Am I right by assuming that the corydoras you have pictured under Corydoras schultzei belongs to the elegans group!
Cheers
Yann
Coryman
Expert

Post by Coryman »

As I recall they were cought from different areas. Jools caught C. venezeulanus when he was over there I am sure he can tell you if he say or caught any C. aeneus with them.

The so called C. schultzi came in with some sp cf elegans but I don't think they are quite the same body shape.

Ian
Yann

Post by Yann »

Hi Ian!

Once again ...thanks for the information!
Just one more question if I may!!!
Under what group would you put Corydoras schultzei
Cheers
Yann
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Ian (and others),
I never caught anything that looked like C. aeneus in Venezuela. Just C. venezuelanus and C. venezuelanus "black." I also never saw them in the trade there either. In Colombia I have seen a C. aeneus like fish which is coming out of Leticia (Amazonas). Given the amount of time that Trinidad has been seperated from South America, it seems doubtful that C. aeneus could appear anywhere but on the island. I guess that all depends on how much you lump or split. I do not think we will ever have the answers until someone does some major Corydoras DNA studies. With Corydoras, I do not think it makes any sense to catch a fish from point A and call it a new species and then catch a fish at point B and call it a new species. The studies (and descriptions)should be done using a large amount of material collected throughout a specific drainage. Only then can we put the new species in context. C. venezuelanus is the only highland Corydoras in Venezuela and is never found with other spp. C. venezuelanus "black" can be found in the llanos with C. habrosus and C. septentrionalis.
PS In my avatar I am collecting C. venezuelanus in the Rio Guapo, Miranda State, Venezuela.
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Yann

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Thanks Shane for this informations!
I assume that Corydoras venezuelanus "black " is the one known in the hobby under the name Corydoras aeneus "black" or is it another species that have such colour.
Anyway very interesting!
Sure some DNA study should be made for pretty much fish and not only Corydoras. The problem on really close looking fish is to say where and when are we dealing with a new species, a subspecies or the same species. DNA is good but it has to be use in parallel to the common keys use in Ichthyology!
Cheers
Yann
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

yannfulliquet wrote:I assume that Corydoras venezuelanus "black " is the one known in the hobby under the name Corydoras aeneus "black" or is it another species that have such colour.
As you may have noticed I've been moving a lot of Corydoras around of late. This gives me the chance to sort out this issue as well. C. aeneus "black" is a bred form of C. schultzei (which we're just going to go with) it is nothing like the C. venzuelanus "black" which is actually a bit more like dark grey.

Jools
joern
My cats species list: 15 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Oldenburg, Germany

Post by joern »

Coryman wrote:...from the Island of Trinidad, the nearest land mass is Venezeula with which has been separated from for something in the region of 50 million years
Hi,

I'm not so familiar in detail with the conditions near Trinidad...but this island is very close to the continent. How deep is the water in between ?
During glacial time sea level was about 100 to 130 meters lower than today...so during these times the tropic climate was still there...and probably a land bridge connecting the island to the continent....

Although, these about 10.000 years (or more, we had several glacial phases) may be enough to generete new, closely relates species...and makes the seperation of closely related species not even easier.
best regards
Joern
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

I was looking at the schultzei entry in cat-elog, and I'm just wondering... is this guy:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/im ... age_id=142
really a schultzei?
Coryman
Expert

C. schultzei

Post by Coryman »

Here is a picture of C. schultzei. The arched gold stripe can vary in intensity which gives rise to the species other common name of C. sp "Gold shoulder"

Ian

Picture courtesy Corydorasworld.com
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

Ahaaa... Do you know if that is individual or geographical variation?
Coryman
Expert

Post by Coryman »

This species are no different to any other in regard to variation of colour pattern. populations can and will vary slightly as will individuals in a population.

Ian

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”