Mixing Corys?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
charlemagne47
Location 1: Philadelphia
Location 2: Pennsylvania

Mixing Corys?

Post by charlemagne47 »

I currently have two Panda Corys. I recently upsized my tank to a 37G and would like to improve their quality of life by giving them at least two more running-mates, as I know they do best in a school, but my LFS has no Pandas at the moment.

Will Panda Corys associate in any helpful way with different Cory species--i.e., will the addition improve their quality of life at all? I don't want to buy fish just to buy fish--I can wait for Pandas. But if a variety of Cory species will school up, I'll introduce a few more. LFS currently has Paleatus and Aeneus.
Supercorygirl
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:124)
Location 2: Devon, AB, Canada

Re: Mixing Corys?

Post by Supercorygirl »

I would advise against mixing those horn dogs with others. I had a group of 5 pandas in a 75G with around 20 Habrosus, there both sees present in both groups. I had to destroy so many eggs due to witnessing fertilizathon on habrosus females eggs by panda males
No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise. - Lewis Carroll
VelcroWY
Location 1: Cheyenne
Location 2: Wyoming

Re: Mixing Corys?

Post by VelcroWY »

From what I understand; some corys mix with other species and some won't even mix with their own species unless their from the same region. If I understand what the experts are saying, nobody knows but supercorygirl has at least one solid observation. I've never tried mixing.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”