Did I just buy a Pseudo. Tigrinum?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Passenger
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Kingsport, TN

Did I just buy a Pseudo. Tigrinum?

Post by Passenger »

My LFS, like most others, has been known to mislabel fish in the past. Tuesday when they received shipment I seen this guys bag floating and knew I had to have it. It was labeled as a RTC/TSN hybrid from their supplier, and a max size of 12" (hahah!) I left him there and went on home and couldn't stop thinking about finally getting myself a predatory cat after years of lusting. Well I stopped back by yesterday and he was still there, so I bought him. I think it is a pseudoplatystoma tigrinum, am I correct?

Thanks in advance!
Jesse
Attachments
received_10152923382494426.jpeg
dconnors
My cats species list: 13 (i:2, k:0)
My Wishlist: 3
Location 2: central michigan, USA

Re: Did I just buy a Pseudo. Tigrinum?

Post by dconnors »

That's what it appears to be to my eyes.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Welcome to the Planet!

The genus is correct. The species should become more or less evident after it hits 2'. 99% chance this is a P. fasciatum, statistically. This species is farmed and that's by far and large what everyone gets. Very small chance that this may be a tigrinum or reticulatum. Almost no chance it is any other TSN species.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Sweet. Pretty pleased either way. I've had him ~48 hours now and have yet to see him do anything other than lay on or behind the rock in the photo. I did however get him to eat about an hour ago after many failed attempts with prepared food (pellets). He very quickly went for a small earthworm I placed in front of him, so that's exciting.
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Great. If he ate, he is more or less comfortable. I'd give him whatever foods he accepts in the adjusting stage. Live worms are ~ as good as it can be. TSNs are not fond of pellets in general and relish fleshy, natural foods but will accept them. This can be saved for later.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Passenger

Post by Passenger »

I do have a question though, should he be swimmimg around or is it acceptable for him to just stay put? He hadnt moved from lights out to lights on this morning. I'm hoping its just stress. The LFS received him Tuesday and he came home with me on Friday. Water parameters were 0/0/10ppm and the pH is 7.1-7.2. Tank is currently 78°F
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

It's a good chance he is adjusting and will be for a long time but the fact that he ate says the worst is over.

Often, TSNs do not swim around in day light, esp. when smaller. Predator avoidance. As unnatural reasons, on might list too much light, tank mate bullying, sickness, etc.

Turn off the tank lights and see. Even nothing changes, give him another couple of weeks and then see.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Thanks for the insight Viktor, guess I am a little overly concerned. No issues with bullying, his only tank mates are 3 pregnant female mollies in a 29g long. I tried placing him in my ca/sa cichlid grow out tank and a 4" jack Dempsey said other wise immediately so he's staying in the 29 until he grows a little more and has some confidence in himself
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I hear you. Cichlids can get nasty almost no matter what size their tank mate is.

It's been a week. Are there any changes in behavior, appetite, care?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “What is my catfish?”