I was using the image caption search tool, and I discovered that the search overlooks some results. I ran the following tests, and here are the results I obtained:
- Search for "Curua:"
Results are L414 and L271. L414 has an image captioned "Rio Curua." L271 has an image captioned "Rio Curua Una." This makes sense.
- Search for "Rio Curua:"
Results are same: L414 and L271. This also makes sense.
- and 4. Search for "Curua-Una" or search for "Rio Curua-Una:"
Results are L271 and Pseudancistrus sp. `Rio Curua-Una.` Both of these spp. have images with the caption, "Rio Curua-Una." It makes sense that L414 disappeared from this search, because the L414 caption doesn't include the word "Una." But why didn't P. sp. `Rio Curua-Una` come up in the first two searches?
Complicating this is the way the caption search handles international characters. In some cases, the search tool finds words with á and other international characters in them, even if the user types the English character (a). For example, if you run an image caption search for "Rio Tapajos" using only English characters, you get results for both "Rio Tapajos" and "Rio Tapajós" (with the o accented). But in other cases, as in the case with all the Curua and Curua-Una results, these international characters are completely overlooked.
EDIT: I just uploaded an image of C113 in the T-position. Prior to choosing an image caption, I used the image caption search for "T-position" to see how the term has been used on previous photos; I obtained two results: Corydoras paleatus and Otocinclus cocama. So I added the image of C113 with a caption, "Spawning T-position." Now when I rerun the image caption search, the O. cocama has disappeared from the search results. That's not good. (but I can still find it if I search only for "position" and not "T-position").