LDA 07 Pair courtship. :)

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
pleconut
I've donated: $35.00!
My cats species list: 35 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:3)
My BLogs: 3 (i:4, p:154)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Bournemouth
Location 2: UK

LDA 07 Pair courtship. :)

Post by pleconut »

Hi all.
A couple of months ago I purchased 2 LDA 07s, Pseudacanthicus Leopardus Sp?
At the time of purchase, I requested the retailer attempted to establish the sex. I was told when they were vented that one was male the other was unclear, likely male. 1 was 6" TL the other 7" TL, took a chance anyway. They went into a display tank with a cave each, needed feeding up a bit so fed them a variety of foods . Then a couple of weeks ago I was away for the weekend, and came back to find they were both in one of the caves! But they soon left when tank lights went on. Took a closer look while they were in the tank to find one had suddenly, within about a week, put on significant girth in the middle, other one had put on weight was slimmer, they'd grown in Length by about 1.5" also. Removed them to photograph from above, close up ,and vent them some obvious differences. (Do have pics). I then asked around some folks that I know have experience. Almost certainly a pair, I moved them last week from the display tank into a tank in a much quieter room. So they were temporarily disrupted. Now settled although male not caving,he hangs out in wood above cave, female mostly remains close to cave. I've been advised behaviorally the male usually waits until the female is ready, but they are not going too far from eachother, this morning I found female in the cave. This afternoon been a lot of non aggressive chasing around cave and around the very large piece of wood its under. New to pseudas and a completely unexpected turn of events, but still want to have some breeding success if possible. Any advice, tips etc anyone can offer is very greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance! :)
Teresa.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”