Can anyone help with these Oto's?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
MarlonnekeW
My cats species list: 20 (i:20, k:0)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:4)
My BLogs: 5 (i:9, p:187)
Spotted: 15
Location 1: The Netherlands
Location 2: Rotterdam area

Can anyone help with these Oto's?

Post by MarlonnekeW »

Hi Everyone,

I bought a small group of Otocinclus, that were labeled Otocinclus affinis, but from what I've read about oto's so far, I've learned that they are most likely not O. affinis.
I've also noticed that they are not completely the same, but because I have no experience with these little guys, I'm not sure if this means that I've bought more than one species or that it has to do with for example their age.

I'm hoping that some of you can tell me a little bit more about my fish. I've tried to take pictures of as many individuals as I could.

Oto 1:

Oto 2:

Oto 3:

Oto 4:

Oto 5:

Oto 6:

I'm not 100% sure picture 5 and 6 are two different individuals, but two of them are smaller than the rest and look very much alike.

Thank you very much for your help!!

Cheers Marlonneke
jac
My articles: 3
My images: 71
My cats species list: 84 (i:0, k:28)
My BLogs: 15 (i:16, p:755)
Spotted: 45
Location 1: Ede
Location 2: Holland
Interests: Fish of all types but mostly Loricariidae, Callichthyidae and Auchenipteridae. My awesome dogs and walking through nature and taking pictures.

Re: Can anyone help with these Oto's?

Post by jac »

Maybe ? I don't have much knowledge of Otocinclus. I don't know how variable this species is.
Every great achievement begins with a dream ;-)
MarlonnekeW
My cats species list: 20 (i:20, k:0)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:4)
My BLogs: 5 (i:9, p:187)
Spotted: 15
Location 1: The Netherlands
Location 2: Rotterdam area

Re: Can anyone help with these Oto's?

Post by MarlonnekeW »

I think you're right. To me, it looks like the majority of them are vittatus. The only doubts I have are about the first one, which has a different pattern on the beginning of the tail fin.

Return to “What is my catfish?”