My brindled madtoms

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
fishlvr
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Georgia
Location 2: Atlanta, GA
Interests: Catfish, especially NA natives, other non-catfish natives, reptiles and amphibians.

My brindled madtoms

Post by fishlvr »

I've had these guys since sometime in May or June I believe (can't remember). I love them. They hide most of the time but they come out whenever food goes into the tank. As soon as any edible item hits the water, they come out looking for it. Does anyone know how to tell the sex of these guys outside of breeding season? I'm hoping they turn out to be a pair so I can take a shot at spawning them. FYI these pics were taken in a 2 1/2 gal. photo tank.
Attachments
DSCF3741.JPG
DSCF3768.JPG
DSCF3769.JPG
Last edited by fishlvr on 19 Oct 2008, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
Current cat collection: 0.0.2 Noturus miurus; 0.0.1 Ameiurus natalis; 0.0.3 Otocinclus hoppei; 0.0.2 Otocinclus sp. (unknown ATM)
On the way: 0.0.1 Noturus insignis
And definitely planning to expand. :D
fishlvr
Interests: Catfish, especially NA natives, other non-catfish natives, reptiles and amphibians.

Re: My brindled madtoms

Post by fishlvr »

A couple shots from above.
Attachments
DSCF3738.JPG
DSCF3739.JPG
Current cat collection: 0.0.2 Noturus miurus; 0.0.1 Ameiurus natalis; 0.0.3 Otocinclus hoppei; 0.0.2 Otocinclus sp. (unknown ATM)
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Nice fish, i wish madtoms were available as an imported species.
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
fishlvr

Post by fishlvr »

Thanks. They're fun fish to have.
Aren't a lot of American fish illegal over there due to introduction problems from sunfish and other US natives?
Richard B

Post by Richard B »

I believe the keeping of them is restricted although licences for these species area possibility, but they are not available anyway afaik - they would be highly sought after if they were due to size (compared with amerius/ictalurus) & colouration/variety of species

apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

I think madtom catfish would be difficult to sex outside of their breeding season.
If they were all the same age, I think the females would be the larger fish if no other outward signs were there to go on but I'm not 100% certain of that.
Madtoms are very rare in the Columbia River Drainage but they do exist. I have caught them twice in the sloughs of some tributary rivers of the Snake River as a kid and kept them for awhile. I would still like to try them again but I'm afraid I'll have to buy them from a native aquarium fish dealer because they are so hard to find. They were accidentally introduced when Bullheads, Channel and Flathead fry were introduced to this river system in the late 19th Century. Pretty cool Catfish.

If you can catch a few more, 6 total and keep them cool through the winter, I think you would be able to breed them after a few months at >60*F by warming up their water and conditioning them on earth worms, black worms and blood worms. I'd try it in a 40 gal breeder tank and remove all the non-spawning cats if you noticed a female on eggs.

Your Brindled Madtoms are good looking cats. I think the madtoms should be kept by more people so we can learn more about how to breed them. I have found brooding females in sloughs, late June or early July that were very warm, 75*F or more, brooding eggs they laid inside empty beverage cans. Your winters aren't as cold as ours so you might be able to over winter yours outdoors then bring them inside in an unheated tank for spawning.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
fishlvr

Post by fishlvr »

Yeah more people definitely should be keeping these fish. I'm going to get some tadpole, slender, speckled and margined madtoms from nearby river drainages and try to get each species to spawn. I'm a native fish fanatic, but the catfish have always been my favorites. I've just never been able to get any madtoms until recently, so I've been mostly working with sunfish and bullheads. I've got a 30 gallon and a 55 gallon tank and I want to turn both into madtom community tanks. One is going to be a stream tank and the other is going to be a planted slackwater tank for the species that live in slower-flowing streams/ponds (Tadpole, brindled, etc.).

That's pretty much my plan, as far as wintering them outside then bringing them back in. I'm pretty sure I have a sexual pair as there is a difference in the genital papilla similar to the difference between male and female bullheads, but I'm not sure if this applies to madtoms or not. I just need to be sure.
sidguppy
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

I love these.

IMO Madtoms are the best looking of all the North American catfish and about the only ones suitable for a normal sized home aquarium

unfortunately they're rare as hen's teeth on mainland Europe as well.
I can't remember seeing any for the last 25 years or so and the times I have seen live ones in the flesh I can count on 1 hand with almost all fingers spare in 34 years of fishkeeping.
Valar Morghulis
fishlvr

Post by fishlvr »

I wish I could ship y'all some. :(
If it weren't for legalities and shipping costs I would.
Richard B

Post by Richard B »

fishlvr wrote:I wish I could ship y'all some. :(
- so do i , very generous of you :wink:

I've seen only one species & only once in 30+ years in the UK (tank full though) - back when i was a nipper (& mad keen but not brilliantly knowledgable) in the most unlikely lfs. I bought a single one & the following day it was eaten by a chaca :( (Learning the hard way!) I was a bit concerned as i thought there was some toxins distributed by madtoms via the dorsal & pectoral spines but the chaca was fine & lived a long & comfortable life

fishlvr

Post by fishlvr »

From what I've heard, they do have toxins of somesort in their dorsal and pectoral fin spines. I've even heard of people's fingers swelling from getting finned by them. I've had that happen with yellow bullheads before, and my thumb was throbbing for a day or two.
sidguppy
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

I heard about Noturus being toxic too, yes

I have no idea if this is true for the entire genus or just certain species, but Noturus are one of the venomenous catfishes

more pix! love to see a sideview of the whole brindled Madtom
Valar Morghulis
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

Lovely fish! 8)
Richard B

Post by Richard B »

Yeah - we want MORE PICS :D :D :D :D :D Pleeeeeeassssse!

Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

I have no idea if this is true for the entire genus or just certain species, but Noturus are one of the venomenous catfishes
AFAIK this is true for the whole genus, it is the toxicity and intensity of the pain which varies between the different species
Birger
Richard B

Post by Richard B »

AFAIK this is true for the whole genus, it is the toxicity and intensity of the pain which varies between the different species
Ouch!!! :eek:

apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

My personal sting experiences from a few madtoms were not much different than the stings I have gotten from Corydoras sterbai.
That is to say, it hurts like Hell but the effects are transient.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
fishlvr

Post by fishlvr »

Luckily I haven't been stung by any madtoms yet, and hopefully it will stay that way!!

Well, I've moved them outdoors for a cool down, so I probably won't be able to get any pics, but I may be able to later tomorrow. I'll have to see if I can net 'em out and get them in a photo tank.
L number Banana
I've donated: $5.00!
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: Kingston, ON, Canada

Post by L number Banana »

Hi fishlvr,
Any new news on the Madtoms? I've recently found out that they are in my area as well and I'm trying to learn everything I can about them. Tons of excellent links but personal experience is always better. New pics maybe?

Thanks
Racing, shoes and fish. Nothing else matters. Oh, and bacon.
Gregg
Location 1: Boise, Idaho,
Location 2: USA

Post by Gregg »

I recently discovered a tadpole madtom in a shopping bag full of silt while fly fishing for carp in a small reservoir. They were introduced with channel catfish years ago and are rarely seen, I knew exactly what I had found, though I have never seen one before.
026 (3).JPG
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Love it when an old post bears new fruit!

Jools
BullFishkeeping
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 1: Ontario
Location 2: Canada
Interests: Platydoras armatulus fanboy

Post by BullFishkeeping »

Are these fish available somehow? AFAIK, even catching them is illegal due to their endangered status.
Barrycal
Location 1: United Kingdom
Location 2: United Kingdom
Interests: Auto racing, motorcross

My brindled madtoms

Post by Barrycal »

Im interested in catching Madtoms around my area, Waxhaw/Charlotte, NC area. I think we have about four species of Madtoms in this area and am curious about techniques used to catch them.I would appreciate any info you fellas have.Thanks,Tim AldridgeSemper fi
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Barrycal wrote: 12 Jul 2019, 12:24Im interested in catching Madtoms around my area, Waxhaw/Charlotte, NC area. I think we have about four species of Madtoms in this area and am curious about techniques used to catch them.I would appreciate any info you fellas have.Thanks,Tim AldridgeSemper fi
Hi Tim Aldridge,

I'm not sure what the laws are in your area about collecting the madtoms. I recommend you reach out to the North American Native Fishes Association, http://www.nanfa.org/. They may be able to help. I know they sponsor local fish collecting trips. I got a pair of speckled madtoms from a friend who collected with NANFA.

By the way, you're in North Carolina? I thought you were in the United Kingdom. That's what your profile says, anyway.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.

Return to “Other Catfishes”