Who is breeding C. Eques

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Tetranerd
My cats species list: 9 (i:1, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:8)
Location 1: Texas
Location 2: USA

Who is breeding C. Eques

Post by Tetranerd »

I have two wild caught adults that I purchased. Looking for a few more for a species only breeding attempt. If you have had success please let me know if you have advice on what seemed to help the process. I have read all the articles and posts I can find, but few posts are recent. Just wondering if anyone has had luck, or if they are stubborn. Thanks for the help
Tony4143
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:30)
My BLogs: 3 (i:0, p:27)
My Wishlist: 34
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Tampa, Florida
Interests: Church, Family, Plecos, Corys, and fast cars

Re: Who is breeding C. Eques

Post by Tony4143 »

I don't believe anyone in the usa has as of yet. I have been looking for over a year with no luck yet. lmk if you find someone. Thanks
Tony
nabulus
Location 1: San Francisco

Post by nabulus »

I have a group of 14 large WC individuals and I split them into three tanks with various m/f ratios and water parameters. I have also tried other funny things that are not necessary for other corys.

I have tried a year: no luck at all.
Tetranerd

Post by Tetranerd »

Don't stop trying!!!! :YMPRAY:
Tony4143

Post by Tony4143 »

nabulus wrote: 19 Jan 2017, 23:04 I have a group of 14 large WC individuals and I split them into three tanks with various m/f ratios and water parameters. I have also tried other funny things that are not necessary for other corys.

I have tried a year: no luck at all.
Don't give up it will happen sooner or later, Or you can sent me a group of them and ill give it a go around :-SS
nabulus

Post by nabulus »

Males chase females like crazy every time after a water change, but females are never interested. If I still can not get them to spawn, I will sell half of the group (7) to someone else who might have better luck. I am a little tired after more than a year's experiments.
nabulus

Post by nabulus »

A friend of mine who breed farmed commercial freshwater fish suggest me use some hormones and/or feed them fish brains/gonads. Not sure if this would be a good idea...
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

nabulus wrote: 30 Mar 2017, 18:22 If I still can not get them to spawn, I will sell half of the group (7) to someone else who might have better luck. I am a little tired after more than a year's experiments.
Hi nabulus,
If you do decide to sell them, please let me know. I'm looking for eques too. I may be getting some next month, but it's no guarantee. So if you're interested in selling then I'd like to know. I'm right next door to you in Stockton, CA.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
nabulus

Post by nabulus »

My eques group has been very active. After every WC, they swim against the glass up and down and males chase females like crazy. I have seen numerous times males try to form a "T-position" with females, while females show no interest in spawning.
Tetranerd

Post by Tetranerd »

Mine are doing the same for a week. I have a group of nine. Several fat females, several males, and several I’m not sure. Several water changes ago, I started giving frozen blood worms, live black worms, and insect pellets as a change from other more bland pellet diet for last two months. Then we had a good couple of thunder and rain storms here in Texas at the same time. My C. Hastatus are spawning, Pygmy’s are dancing, Hasbrosus are dancing, Sterbai are FAT, and Palateus are laying as I type. So I dumped a 1/2 gallon of Palateus water in with the Eques. Cold water from Palateus tank and hormones from their spawn...... got my toes crossed. But not expecting. They have been really active on the glass. I hope yours will lay for you.
What are you feeding? And do you have any others actively spawning as of the last two weeks?
Tetranerd

Post by Tetranerd »

2EE926A4-E0D9-41B5-A3FF-039B0E365CED.jpeg
9758C849-BCDF-4299-808C-E81E0AC5FC94.jpeg
PaigenKevin
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: West Richland
Location 2: Washington

Post by PaigenKevin »

Hey all!
My wife and I are just setting up breeding tanks. We have a group of 5 Eques on hold for us with at least one known female. Looking for the best advice for tank setup ideas. Currently white sand and two large rocks (built an overhang) and two medium sized pieces of "kikiwood". So my questions are centered around the desire to breed them and understanding that we have a long way to go in this process.
1. What advice do you have to setup the tank with breeding in mind, but probably being at least 6 months away from first attempt?
2. Tetranerd, how old are the eques in your pictures? I am asking for perspective on trying to estimate the age of the one's we are purchasing.

Thanks in advance for any responses!
Tony4143

Post by Tony4143 »

I have agroup of 12 and have had no luck for the past year, Good luck. I have had the dancing after water changes and no luck what so ever. I guess I will wait and see what happens on its own.
Tony
Narwhal72
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 100 (i:0, k:4)
My BLogs: 29 (i:0, p:400)
Spotted: 32
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Milwaukee, WI
Interests: Whiptails, hoplo cats, corys, plecos

Post by Narwhal72 »

I am right there with you guys. I have had my group since October. I have big fat females and watch the males chasing them but so far no luck.
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

I've got a group too. A little bit of male-chasing-female about the tank, but no spawns yet. :-W
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
bigshawn
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 16
Spotted: 7
Location 2: Ohio

Post by bigshawn »

Any luck?? I got a small group of 4 looking for more hoping to spawn these as well, they are my favorite Corydoras...
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

None yet. My group is healthy, but no spawns seen or eggs found.

Good luck with yours.

Cheers, Eric
bigshawn
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 16
Spotted: 7
Location 2: Ohio

Post by bigshawn »

Thanks, hoping it happens soon for you. I've only got 4 looking too get 6 more soon as the next shipments comes in....

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”