Synodontis Granulosus, how aggressive?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Iamfish
I've donated: $147.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 20 (i:12, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:2)
My Wishlist: 15
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Location 2: United States
Interests: All things fish/fishing

Synodontis Granulosus, how aggressive?

Post by Iamfish »

So I was thinking of getting a Synodtontis Granulosus and was wondering just how aggresive they are. I really want to keep it in a 125 with a synodontis angelicus or a Ornate pim. Would that work or should I get something else to get with the Gran. Thanks in advance :)
You know your obsessed with fish when your friends literally start adressing you as just "fish"
https://www.instagram.com/ilovefishxo/
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Synodontis Granulosus, how aggressive?

Post by Bas Pels »

I was once asked to host a group of 5. Now I did have a tank of 140 * 50 cm footprint free, so there was no problem.

Decoration? Rocks they were used to, put in order to make it possible to avoid each other.

After a while one of them was stripped from most of its skin. I put it behind a window, made opaque. It recovered, but I did not dare putting it back. I was very happy this tank had the ability to introduce such a device - netting this one would have killed it.

Long story short, a few weeks later I ended up with 4 granuloses in a seperate tak. One of them had died - but the owner had told me he expected this one to die , from the stresss combined with all the medication it had to cope with in the rearlier life.

For me, I will never, ever keep this species again, they are far to agressive for me (and I'm used to keeping central American cichlids). Fighting is as mean as it can gewt, and then add some more.

I'm afraid - did not try it - any fish slightly looking like themselves is in danger from them, so I would be very carefull with more or less same sized Synodontis.
cats have whiskers
Iamfish
I've donated: $147.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 20 (i:12, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:2)
My Wishlist: 15
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Location 2: United States
Interests: All things fish/fishing

Post by Iamfish »

Bas Pels wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 07:45 I was once asked to host a group of 5. Now I did have a tank of 140 * 50 cm footprint free, so there was no problem.

Decoration? Rocks they were used to, put in order to make it possible to avoid each other.

After a while one of them was stripped from most of its skin. I put it behind a window, made opaque. It recovered, but I did not dare putting it back. I was very happy this tank had the ability to introduce such a device - netting this one would have killed it.

Long story short, a few weeks later I ended up with 4 granuloses in a seperate tak. One of them had died - but the owner had told me he expected this one to die , from the stresss combined with all the medication it had to cope with in the rearlier life.

For me, I will never, ever keep this species again, they are far to agressive for me (and I'm used to keeping central American cichlids). Fighting is as mean as it can gewt, and then add some more.

I'm afraid - did not try it - any fish slightly looking like themselves is in danger from them, so I would be very carefull with more or less same sized Synodontis.
Do you think other species would be ok if they had lots of rocks, like a senegal bichir or lima shovelnose?
You know your obsessed with fish when your friends literally start adressing you as just "fish"
https://www.instagram.com/ilovefishxo/
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Can't say

Obviously all decor would help and a big tank is better than a small one, but I won't dare predicting anything.

My largest tank is 4 meters, that is 13 feet, and yes, quite a few inadvisable combinations have been possible in that one. But S granulosus is just out of my league
cats have whiskers
amiidae
My images: 548
My cats species list: 82 (i:0, k:2)
Spotted: 178
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Singapore

Post by amiidae »

I used to have 3. They were introduced to the tank over 1-2 yrs period. The initial 2 cats were manageable with mild aggression. But clearly one was under stress all the time. All hell broke loose when I added the 3rd cat - a large female then it was over !

They do chase other bottom dwelling tankmates but still ok with many hiding spots. I lost many Tanganyika cichlids as they would nibble their body and spook them at nite.

You can try but be prepared to isolate and keep solo.
PREDATORY FISH KEEPERS FB GROUP --> https://www.facebook.com/groups/166535030633179/

Return to “African Catfishes”