Pseudomystus siamensis compatibility

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
BIOBLOKE
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: United Kingdom
Location 2: Bargoed

Pseudomystus siamensis compatibility

Post by BIOBLOKE »

Asian bumblebee catfish (Pseudomystus siamensis) compatible with; 12 Tiger Barbs, 10 Zebra Danios, Red Tail Shark in a 60 gallon (US)?????
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: Pseudomystus siamensis compatibility

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Welcome to the Planet! If a tank mate fits or might fit in the catfish's mouth (at any point of their communal life), it will be preyed on sooner or later. This catfish grows to 6" or so and the 1"-2" tank mates would be in danger IMHO.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
BIOBLOKE
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: United Kingdom
Location 2: Bargoed

Post by BIOBLOKE »

Thanks, so is it not worth risking? i thought being in schools would mean they are less likely to become food. Whats the biggest fish size a full grown asian bumblebee can eat roughly?
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

They are specialized predators, so I would assume around half their bodylength or more. To play safe, I'd recommend only larger fishes.

With regard to the risk of predation, the cat is rather nocturnal, when the others are asleep. So schooling - during the day - will not help a bit.

You can get more affordable food. Bacause in this combination, that is what the other fishes are. Food. Which I think would be a shame of these nice fishes
cats have whiskers
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Agree with Bas, mate. You gotta rethink the fate of the little guys. As for the largest safe size, one'd need to think of at least two dimensions that need to surpass the catfish mouth entry dimensions as well as about the overall body robustness. A worm-like or torpedo-shaped fish of even the same length as the catfish or longer could be swallowed. A disk-shaped or high-back fish is hard to swallow but should be robust enough not to get easily mangled up and then swallowed by the catfish.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Fishmandavew
My cats species list: 52 (i:9, k:14)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 36
Location 2: Leeds, England

Post by Fishmandavew »

A large female could get to 8-9" tip to tip so a fully grown tiger barb would be the smallest disc shaped fish i would risk with a well fed fish. but it's not just the fact that the fish wouldn't get eaten, even tiger barbs with an 8" bumblebee would be stressed each night!

Return to “Asian Catfishes”