L350 maximum size

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
HaakonH
My articles: 2
My images: 365
My catfish: 1
Spotted: 226
Location 1: Bergen, Norway
Location 2: Bergen, Norway
Interests: Fish fish fish!

L350 maximum size

Post by HaakonH »

Hi all,

I just got hold of what I consider to be a bit of a holy grail; a group of 8 .

In the original article in DATZ magazine, Werner says specimens of up to 40 cm have been on offer. This has since been cited in every source I have been able to track down.

In the scientific description by Lujan, 2 specimens were included where the biggest one was 13 cm or so.

In captivity, specimens of 15-20 cm is the norm. This also goes for the 8 I have now received.

Given the rarity of this species, it's hard to find material to compare, but I still have doubts this species actually grows to 40 cm. So my question is, is there any evidence out there? Have you seen or heard of L350s growing to 40 cm? Or has it perhaps been confused with the sympatric when the original information was published?

Haakon
Acanthicus
My articles: 5
My images: 91
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 79
Location 1: Kiel
Location 2: Germany

Re: L350 maximum size

Post by Acanthicus »

He Haakon

The biggest specimen I have seen so far is the one pictured in the "Bede Atlas L 1 - L 400", can't recall how big it looks, I don't have the book here. But I know you have it, so you might wanna check.

40 cm seems too much I agree. They seem to be mature with 15-20 cm.
Daniel
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: L350 maximum size

Post by Jools »

It'd say about 30cm maybe a little less seems about right. The one in Bede, assuming 4mm gravel, is about 22-25cm with a 48mm pectoral-fin ray (roughly). Interestingly, the Japanese "catfishes of the world" book lists it as 30cm which, it could be assumed, didn't have access to the DATZ article when that book was published.

Good point to bring up, I've shaved 10cm off the SL herein.

Jools

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”