L134 and Helena snails?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Muller
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:46)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Netherlands
Location 2: Eindhoven

L134 and Helena snails?

Post by Muller »

Good morning,

I have a tank with L134. They even spawned for the first time (now 2 young visible and free swimming). I have some snails and spotted a kind of worm yesterday evening. Thinking of putting some Helena snails in, but afraid of those eating eggs. Anybody experience with Helenas and plecos?
Thanks,
Stijn.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Re: L134 and Helena snails?

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I lean towards the better safe than sorry school of thought here. I have been told by invert folks assassins will eat eggs. I used to keep them in pleco tanks. In tanks with fry I seemed to have losses when there were assassins in the tank. So I have since removed these snails from pleco breeder tanks. I still keep the snails in growout tanks.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

TwoTankAmin wrote: 30 Nov 2019, 18:20 I lean towards the better safe than sorry school of thought here. I have been told by invert folks assassins will eat eggs. I used to keep them in pleco tanks. In tanks with fry I seemed to have losses when there were assassins in the tank. So I have since removed these snails from pleco breeder tanks. I still keep the snails in growout tanks.
All hypostomine plecos I've bred had these snails in the tanks - I've not seen them eat eggs, I've never seen a picture of them eating eggs. Maybe they will eat eggs if the male is not guarding them, I don't know.

Jools
Muller
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:46)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Netherlands
Location 2: Eindhoven

Post by Muller »

Thanks, will test it with some longfin ancistrus dolicoptherus.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”