Black worms

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Muller
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:46)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Netherlands
Location 2: Eindhoven

Black worms

Post by Muller »

Anybody having some living black worms? I can't buy them here in the Netherlands and would love to set-up a breeding tank for them.
Thanks,
Stijn
Mol_PMB
I've donated: $50.00!
My images: 5
My cats species list: 37 (i:32, k:1)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:9)
My BLogs: 8 (i:34, p:416)
Spotted: 14
Location 2: Manchester UK

Re: Black worms

Post by Mol_PMB »

I’ve got two tanks with healthy populations of them in the substrate. I’m not sure if it’s permitted to post them from the UK to the Netherlands? I have sent some within the UK which arrived successfully.
Regards,
Paul
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

I would assume than anythink acceptable for posiontg in the UK will also be acceptable within the EU.

In order to be safe, try posting them before the Brexit.
cats have whiskers
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Royal Mail says inverts are legal to send if marked as such. Vertebrates are prohibited as are any creatures or insects classified as dangerous within the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 (including certain venomous spiders). Fish, well, you're not asking about shipping fish...

"Must be boxed and packaged to protect the creatures, our staff and our customers from harm.
Use 1st Class as the minimum service.
Items must be clearly marked "URGENT - LIVING CREATURES - HANDLE WITH CARE".
The sender's name and address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging."

Jools
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
Mol_PMB wrote: 30 Nov 2019, 14:02 I’ve got two tanks with healthy populations of them in the substrate. I’m not sure if it’s permitted to post them from the UK to the Netherlands? I have sent some within the UK which arrived successfully.
I've sent some to the Netherlands before, Lumbriculus variegatus is native to N. Europe, and I don't think there are any issues with posting them within the EU.
Jools wrote: 30 Nov 2019, 15:57.......Royal Mail says inverts are legal to send if marked as such....1st Class as the minimum service.
Items must be clearly marked "URGENT - LIVING CREATURES - HANDLE WITH CARE".
The sender's name and address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.
I use this as a protocol.

cheers Darrel
Mol_PMB

Post by Mol_PMB »

Thanks. I'm happy to send some on that basis.
My remaining doubt concerns the ambient temperatures which are currently below freezing here. A simple cost-effectively packed jiffy bag might not keep them alive in the cold. But a proper insulated box with heat packs will cost a lot more to send. Any thoughts? It might not warm up until after Brexit (unless we all vote Lib Dem!)
Cheers,
Paul
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
Mol_PMB wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 15:19 My remaining doubt concerns the ambient temperatures which are currently below freezing here. A simple cost-effectively packed jiffy bag might not keep them alive in the cold. But a proper insulated box with heat packs will cost a lot more to send. Any thoughts?
I don't think you have too worry too much about the cold. They should be all right in some damp moss. I post them in a microwave container inside the padded envelope.

They occur right up into Scandinavia, arctic Russia etc..

cheers Darrel
Muller
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:46)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Netherlands
Location 2: Eindhoven

Post by Muller »

Great, I'm not sure if the packaging centers are heated or not, but open if you're willing to try to send them. They could be in a plastic bottle and surrounded by some newspaper or so. I would not mention what's in it, to prevent customs keeping them apart for two weeks or so… Tried to contact you via private message MOL, but seems not to work. Would appreciate if you would reach out to me. tx
Mol_PMB

Post by Mol_PMB »

I’m sorry, work has become incredibly busy and I am having to spend a lot of time away from home. I don’t know when I’ll get a chance to pack and send anything to you. It might be best to leave it until after the Christmas rush anyway.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”