Which Bumblebee Catfish?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Sitten1115
My Wishlist: 75
Spotted: 1
Location 1: United States
Location 2: New York

Which Bumblebee Catfish?

Post by Sitten1115 »

I got 2 bumblebee catfish from petsmart a while ago, before I knew how many different species can be sold under that name. One is significantly bigger than the other and that’s the one I managed to catch for an ID. If I ever catch the smaller one I’ll likely ask for an ID of them too. I should note I just browsed literally ever catfish species that has pictures in the Cat-elogue and I can’t tell many of the similar bumblebees apart even from that.

I’m having trouble with the attachments option (I blame my iPhone 6) so I’m going to try to add the pics using bbcode.

Edit: my tentative ID is South American bumblebee but even then I’m not sure if multiple species have that common name

Update, saw an opportunity to catch fish #2. Took it, got stabbed. Have 3 more photos one of which is just for size reference.

The catfish up above is in the larger of these two containers, the one I caught just now was in the smaller for pictures.

Stabby jerk

He wouldn’t get in a good position for a side photo so here’s a second top down

I should note these were about the same size when I got them. And I got both at the same time.
Last edited by Sitten1115 on 09 Feb 2020, 05:03, edited 1 time in total.
Wow none of my normal pfp fit the guidelines so I guess I’ll use this fusion sprite I got.
Lycosid
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:2)
Spotted: 4
Location 2: North Carolina

Re: Which Bumblebee Catfish?

Post by Lycosid »

Sitten1115 wrote: 09 Feb 2020, 02:24Edit: my tentative ID is South American bumblebee but even then I’m not sure if multiple species have that common name
Normally that means . Seems like a reasonable ID, especially because that's all I ever see at the Petsmart/Petco style stores. The size I normally see them at is well under maximum adult size, so your size variation may just be age.
Sitten1115

Post by Sitten1115 »

Update, I just caught the second one, got stabbed doing so because he gave me issues. So I’m editing in the pics for it too as well as a picture to help with sizing
Wow none of my normal pfp fit the guidelines so I guess I’ll use this fusion sprite I got.
Sitten1115

Post by Sitten1115 »

Lycosid wrote: 09 Feb 2020, 04:57
Sitten1115 wrote: 09 Feb 2020, 02:24Edit: my tentative ID is South American bumblebee but even then I’m not sure if multiple species have that common name
Normally that means . Seems like a reasonable ID, especially because that's all I ever see at the Petsmart/Petco style stores. The size I normally see them at is well under maximum adult size, so your size variation may just be age.
The thing is I’m pretty sure they were around the same size when I got them. Maybe they are both the same species and it’s just something like who’s eating more. I did catch the little one today for pics.

Return to “What is my catfish?”