Ideal Water Parameters

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
chrissyinbloom
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Harrisburg, PA

Ideal Water Parameters

Post by chrissyinbloom »

Hi everyone! First post for me here :) I have a science background and fish keeping has always appealed to me. I've been keeping fish for a number of years now (almost 10?), but am only just now getting more serious.

I joined because I wanted to ask you all your advice on ideal water parameters.

My tap water has a pH of 7.4-7.6 and nitrates of 20-40 ppm. It seems to be hit or miss with my fish. Some are doing great and some just die off. I think sometimes I just get bad stock. Not sure. So, I'm trying to bring down this nitrate level. I do weekly 50% water changes. I grow plants in all of my tanks and also have driftwood. This past weekend, I added pothos plants and Purigen to the tanks. I haven't checked the water parameters since then. I'm curious to see what they are this weekend when I check again.

Plecos are my favorite fish. I'd like to tailor my tanks to them. Right now, I have 3 clowns, 3 blue eyed lemon bn, and a spotted orange seam. I am currently cycling a 40 gallon breeder (so close to being ready!) that will be a pleco only tank. I am debating what other type(s) of plecos to buy. I would like to start breeding, but the water quality is a consideration.

What would you recommend/suggest? Should I invest in a RODI water units to bring down nitrates (I wouldn't do 100% water changes with it.)
Also, I haven't checked the GH/KH of my tap. How much should I be concerned about that?
What types of plecos should I avoid due to their sensitivity to water conditions?
Anything else I should think about?

Thanks for your expertise my friends!
IMG_0902.jpg
Chuunofish
Location 1: Rugby
Location 2: Warwickshire

Re: Ideal Water Parameters

Post by Chuunofish »

I had similar parameters and results that you are until I switched to RO (DI is overkill for freshwater) now nitrates, nitrite and ammonia all 0, and I can control KH with addition of tap water. So far running dKH at 3 and everyone is happy in the tank
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Re: Ideal Water Parameters

Post by Birger »

You are better to consider a group of the same species, a mixed bag of different plecos is just that,a group of the same species has more interesting interaction among the members.
Birger

Return to “Tank Talk”