Are these corydoras elegans or cw044?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Fritske87
My cats species list: 2 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: The Netherlands
Location 2: Hoorn

Are these corydoras elegans or cw044?

Post by Fritske87 »

Hey everyone,

I’m new on the forum, so correct me if i’m doing anything wrong.
I bought a small group of corydoras a while back in a pet store.
I bought them as “catfish”.
They look a lot like elegans but could also be the cw044.
Can anyone tell me the difference between the two?
I added some photos but their color looks blunt, and in the photo of the male i cant really get the color in of the yellowish line under its dorsal fin.
I also have one female which is darker than the others and doesnt have the greenish brilliance as my other females.
Can anyone help me with this?
Attachments
One of the females
One of the females
One of the males
One of the males
My dark female
My dark female
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Are these corydoras elegans or cw044?

Post by bekateen »

Hi Fritske87,

Welcome to PlanetCatfish! And what a way you've chosen to dive into the mix, than by trying to ID any of the ambigous -type corys! :))

I'll admit I'm not great with the elegans group of corys, but yours do look like elegans to me. You offered the alternative of CW044. Real CW044 can only be determined by their catch location, which is a very specific area (and yet not-well-described). If they are real CW044, then they may be the elusive Corydoras pestai. But those are considered to be a synonym of C. elegans for now. According to Eschmeyer's Catalog of Fishes, the type material for the original C. pestai description were destroyed in World War II, and now there are no authentic examples in museums for comparison.

Perhaps someone with a better eye for Corys (@rmc?) may be better at ID'ing them, but for now, I'd go with C. elegans.

Cheers, Eric

P.S., Your first post was done perfectly. Cheers.
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Fritske87
My cats species list: 2 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: The Netherlands
Location 2: Hoorn

Re: Are these corydoras elegans or cw044?

Post by Fritske87 »

Thank you Eric,

I think i will stick with the elegans than for now.

Return to “What is my catfish?”