Pleco Identification

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
MissNoodle
My articles: 1
My images: 31
My cats species list: 27 (i:27, k:5)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
My BLogs: 7 (i:35, p:389)
My Wishlist: 10
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Ontario
Location 2: Canada

Pleco Identification

Post by MissNoodle »

Didn't purchase, but seen these guys at the store

1: labeled a common pleco, is a juvenile. Lovely coloring on this guy
20210929_142913.jpg
2: labeled cucuta pleco, but to me looks like standard BN plecos. None were on glass to see bellies though.
20210929_142847.jpg
Corydoras, Hoplosternum, Farlowella, Pleco
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Pleco Identification

Post by bekateen »

The first is one of the common plecos in the genus Pterygoplichthys, maybe . But most of these are farmed and some of them can be hybrids. The second is probably a common BN, unless the seller went to great trouble to import cucuta BNs.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
MissNoodle

Post by MissNoodle »

bekateen wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 01:39 The first is one of the common plecos in the genus Pterygoplichthys, maybe . But most of these are farmed and some of them can be hybrids. The second is probably a common BN, unless the seller went to great trouble to import cucuta BNs.

Cheers, Eric
They do import odd fish every now and again, but price is on par with common BN plecos as well, so hard to say. They're rather nice fish though, I do like the standard color, most often see albino here.

Ive not seen any juvie "commons" with colours like his in a long while, he stood out quite a bit. Shame he gets too large for me lol gibbiceps are very beautiful plecos.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Cucuta, which is a town on the Colombia/Venezuela border, seems like an oddly specific common name for a store to use. There are several brownish Ancistrus recorded from drainages in that area. I would take a hard look at those fish.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
MissNoodle

Post by MissNoodle »

Shane wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 11:45 Cucuta, which is a town on the Colombia/Venezuela border, seems like an oddly specific common name for a store to use. There are several brownish Ancistrus recorded from drainages in that area. I would take a hard look at those fish.
-Shane
I may go back for another look, but may purchase any because I can't guarantee a permanent tank if it needs warmer water since that area tends to run warmer than some other places. Already have plecos in 2 tanks, and the 3rd tank I could have a pleco in runs cold (goldfish and hoplos, temps 70-72F)
I could potentially juggle one of my cf cirrhosis to the colder tank, and keep that in there, but that'd be a task and a half netting anyone haha.

I'll try to get some close looks though at the very least.
MissNoodle

Post by MissNoodle »

Shane wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 11:45 Cucuta, which is a town on the Colombia/Venezuela border, seems like an oddly specific common name for a store to use. There are several brownish Ancistrus recorded from drainages in that area. I would take a hard look at those fish.
-Shane
I went back, got some more photos including belly shots and side views. Handsome fish, I ended up taking one home anyways, worth the tank juggle if it needs warmer water.
20211004_163920.jpg
20211004_163905.jpg
20211004_163705.jpg
20211004_163625.jpg
What are your thoughts? Seem very broad headed compared to my cf cirrhosis at home. And all have bristles on the lip, some obvious males with extended onto the nose.
MissNoodle

Post by MissNoodle »

20211004_172303.jpg
20211004_172241.jpg
Acclimation and size reference.
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

Hi Miss Noodle,

Here are your last 6 pics, all laid out with same orientation and scaled to help viewing. Looking at the fish, and seeing the spotted pattern, this is certainly not . It is more reminiscent of , which has a spotted body and a wide head. That said, as Shane noted, the location is not a typical source for exported fish. I'm also looking at , but the head of your fish looks wider.

I'm not sure it's worth anything, but the mouths visible on the two ventral pics are really different in shape. Perhaps just the animals' postures are different at time of photography? If real and not a photo aberration, then different sexes (e.g. head angle differs)? or different species altogether?

Cheers, Eric
Attachments
cucuta 1.png
cucuta 2.png
cucuta 3.png
cucuta 4.png
cucuta 5.png
cucuta 6.png
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
MissNoodle

Post by MissNoodle »

bekateen wrote: 04 Oct 2021, 22:42 Hi Miss Noodle,

Here are your last 6 pics, all laid out with same orientation and scaled to help viewing. Looking at the fish, and seeing the spotted pattern, this is certainly not . It is more reminiscent of , which has a spotted body and a wide head. That said, as Shane noted, the location is not a typical source for exported fish. I'm also looking at , but the head of your fish looks wider.

I'm not sure it's worth anything, but the mouths visible on the two ventral pics are really different in shape. Perhaps just the animals' postures are different at time of photography? If real and not a photo aberration, then different sexes (e.g. head angle differs)? or different species altogether?

Cheers, Eric
Thank you!
Though I am also noting this fish lacks the spotted/reticulated? belly of martini, but on the one belly shot on the other one there shows no markings on the underside.
Does this factor into anything at all?

Currently acclimating into my warmer water 55g
MissNoodle

Post by MissNoodle »

Add after your edit, fish in the underside photos in store are of different individuals. The wider mouthed one looked more female to me while the other certainly had more bristle coverage classic with a young male.

But one does have spots, the one I brought home does not. I will get a belly/mouth view of the fish I've got.
MissNoodle

Post by MissNoodle »

20211004_175503.jpg
My fish
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

MissNoodle wrote: 04 Oct 2021, 22:54Add after your edit, fish in the underside photos in store are of different individuals. The wider mouthed one looked more female to me while the other certainly had more bristle coverage classic with a young male.

But one does have spots, the one I brought home does not. I will get a belly/mouth view of the fish I've got.
Yes I can see faint markings on the belly of one of the fish in your photos. I was going to say (from memory) that your fish appeared to have a pale underbelly, but actually it's quite dark in your photos. I don't think that excludes the species discussed.

Cheers, Eric
MissNoodle

Post by MissNoodle »

Awesome then! Hopefully my L240 doesn't mind a neighbor in his tank. Going to assume it will fare best in 76F-80F range given if it is those species, they come from a warmer area, so probably a safe bet to keep her higher 70s than in a cooler tank then
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

On the positive side you found something neat. On the negative, it is probably just one of the dozens (perhaps 100s) of undescribed brown Ancistrus spp in the Andes.
Galvis et al (Peces del Catatumbo) show a fish very similar to yours and label it A. triradiatus, which is incorrect as this sp is from Orinoco drainages in the llanos 470 miles to the south.
Schultz described two spp from the drainage (martini and bodenhameri). These were later placed in synonymy but this is not accepted in German hobbyists circles. I would tend to agree with them.
The pictures we have of martini are preserved specimens. Preservation often brings out pigmentation patterns we do not see in live fishes. This is especially true with fish like loricariids that can change their coloration and pattern based on environment.
I'll dig up Schultz today and see if we get lucky on a match, but it can be a fools game to try to match fish to a described sp when we know that only a tiny portion of the genus is formally described. This is the biggest mistake made by hobbyists and scientists (note Galvis et al ref above).
As far as temps, Cucuta is considered cold by Venezuelans and Colombians. People from Cucuta are called "gochos" (swine) because they tend to have lighter skin and the cool weather causes their cheeks to turn pink. This is a great amusement to people that have never been some place cold enough to experience rosy cheeks on a brisk morning.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
MissNoodle

Post by MissNoodle »

Shane wrote: 05 Oct 2021, 11:10 On the positive side you found something neat. On the negative, it is probably just one of the dozens (perhaps 100s) of undescribed brown Ancistrus spp in the Andes.
Galvis et al (Peces del Catatumbo) show a fish very similar to yours and label it A. triradiatus, which is incorrect as this sp is from Orinoco drainages in the llanos 470 miles to the south.
Schultz described two spp from the drainage (martini and bodenhameri). These were later placed in synonymy but this is not accepted in German hobbyists circles. I would tend to agree with them.
The pictures we have of martini are preserved specimens. Preservation often brings out pigmentation patterns we do not see in live fishes. This is especially true with fish like loricariids that can change their coloration and pattern based on environment.
I'll dig up Schultz today and see if we get lucky on a match, but it can be a fools game to try to match fish to a described sp when we know that only a tiny portion of the genus is formally described. This is the biggest mistake made by hobbyists and scientists (note Galvis et al ref above).
As far as temps, Cucuta is considered cold by Venezuelans and Colombians. People from Cucuta are called "gochos" (swine) because they tend to have lighter skin and the cool weather causes their cheeks to turn pink. This is a great amusement to people that have never been some place cold enough to experience rosy cheeks on a brisk morning.
-Shane
Oh awesome! Would be interested to see.

She is showing some nice brown tones now that she's settled into her new home. Very prominent cheek spikes too, wouldn't wanna get jabbed by those lol.
20211004_185027.jpg
20211004_192200.jpg
20211005_083920.jpg
20211005_084119.jpg
20211005_084236.jpg
I keep the tank no colder than 76F but no hotter than 80F

If this proves to be too warm, I can move her to a tank that sits 72F-75F

Assumed it'd be warmer since the profile for L240 runs hot on the temps and it's on the Venezuela/Columbia border area as well. Goes to show south american climate is more complex than one initially thinks.
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Original description A. bodenhameri. Compare to your fish as she settles in.
-Shane
Attachments
20211005_103454.jpg
20211005_103502.jpg
Last edited by Shane on 05 Oct 2021, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Photo from Galvis.
-Shane
Attachments
20211005_101503.jpg
MissNoodle

Post by MissNoodle »

Shane wrote: 05 Oct 2021, 15:39 Original description A. bodenhameri. Compare to your fish as she settles in.
-Shane
So given that it's been merged with a. Martini, can assume that beckateen has it correct then?

The description is pretty spot on. Dorsal does have a pale tip restricted to the first 2 rays, causal does as well. Dull spotting as well, not bold as seen in the common cf cirrhosis.

Ive been calling this one a she, pretty wide body so assuming female despite the bristles--nearly all the fish in the store had bristles to some extent, some same size as this had more bristles up the face with branching starting--assumed those male, while this one and others very little and restricted to just the lip assumed female until proven otherwise.
But going off my cirrhosis at this size, males would have had more bristles at the size this fish is at.

My area has a terrible market for the common bristlenose (oversaturated, everyone trying to sell babies lol), and I doubt these guys would stand out to many here as something worth buying over the other BN plecos. Unsure if it would be worth going back for a male, the price was really good. But, if I did end up going with a pair, the market is not too good. Aside from other catfish and pleco fans, they may not sell as well should they do breed. I adore plecos and catfish, but also do not wish to be overrun either since some plecos can breed like rabbits, though not a guarantee for this species

At same time, chances of them being in stock again are so so slim.

Gah, decisions decisions.

A pair may irritate my L240 juvenile and may cause a fight over caves so might be poking the sleeping bear on that one and best leave it alone 😄
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

. So given that it's been merged with a. Martini, can assume that beckateen has it correct then?
I do not agree that A. bodenhameri is synonym of A. martini. I went back and read the Trans Andean paper again and am even more convinced after reviewing their reasoning.

Your second point (the market is saturated) was what made me make my good news\bad news comment above. They are only interesting to people that have a thing for brown Ancistrus. We have a local club member spawning a brown sp he collected in Peru. They don't sell well in the auctions while long finned albino common Ancistrus sell like hot cakes. Sigh....
-Shane
MissNoodle

Post by MissNoodle »

Shane wrote: 05 Oct 2021, 18:54
. So given that it's been merged with a. Martini, can assume that beckateen has it correct then?
I do not agree that A. bodenhameri is synonym of A. martini. I went back and read the Trans Andean paper again and am even more convinced after reviewing their reasoning.

Your second point (the market is saturated) was what made me make my good news\bad news comment above. They are only interesting to people that have a thing for brown Ancistrus. We have a local club member spawning a brown sp he collected in Peru. They don't sell well in the auctions while long finned albino common Ancistrus sell like hot cakes. Sigh....
-Shane
Well yes, agreed. It's like schultzei vs aeneus in cories. Currently classed the same species but are clearly different. Usually there's a reason they were classed differently at first. And inevitably get separated again at some point.

What I mean is just for sake of marking down it in my keepers list.

I think I'm going for a male anyways too, given the scarcity I feel I will regret it too much if I passed this opportunity up. Plus no guarantee that they'd spawn anyways, and I think I could work out solutions if they did. At least in terms of keeping peace.

That said, I do like the brown plain ones too, but here in my area even the fancy cirrhosis colours don't sell well. There's several sellers all for cheaper than the stores and can take months to sell lol

But I also asked around some locals and there is considerable interest in these ones at the very least. There's a couple pleco fans here who aren't just into "flashy" fish
MissNoodle

Post by MissNoodle »

Male acquired!
20211005_153759.jpg
20211005_153926.jpg
MissNoodle

Post by MissNoodle »

20211005_180157.jpg
20211005_180134.jpg
20211005_180121.jpg
Gonna try to get more views of him as he settles
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Put me down for some fry!
-Shane
MissNoodle

Post by MissNoodle »

He has settled in, hes way less shy than the female is as well.
20211006_202915.jpg
20211009_213920.jpg
I have to say, I love the way the texture on the skin shines on these guys. Makes them almost look gilded with gold. They're "plain" at first appearance, but are subtly really beautiful plecos. Very happy I decided to pick them up.

My L240 doesn't seem bothered to have them in the same tank either, he sticks to his own area and they dont go near him. They prefer to stay on the driftwood, while my L240 likes his cave area.
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

Looks great! Good luck with them.

Cheers, Eric
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

I've added these pictures, with a degree of discomfort, into the entry. The belly patterning bothers me - while patterning is sometimes initially emboldened in preserved fishes, much less so on soft skin.

I could add a note to these ones noting they are closer to the description of A. bodenhameri? Or go "full schultzi" and just split out the species. Would welcome a discussion.

Cheers,

Jools
MissNoodle

Post by MissNoodle »

Jools wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 09:40 I've added these pictures, with a degree of discomfort, into the entry. The belly patterning bothers me - while patterning is sometimes initially emboldened in preserved fishes, much less so on soft skin.

I could add a note to these ones noting they are closer to the description of A. bodenhameri? Or go "full schultzi" and just split out the species. Would welcome a discussion.

Cheers,

Jools
If it helps, I have a new photo of the male on the glass, he's got some faint markings but hard to see.
20211026_220155.jpg
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

That really does help, is that the same fish as the pic we used (perhaps that was the female)?

Jools
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

My own two cents is not to put them in as a known described sp. I would add them as Ancistrus sp # and note the trade name they were imported under and that they may be one of the described spp from that drainage but we can't make offer a definitive identification without verified provenience information.
-Shane
MissNoodle

Post by MissNoodle »

Jools wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 10:06 That really does help, is that the same fish as the pic we used (perhaps that was the female)?

Jools
The other one was the female.

Return to “What is my catfish?”