Looking for Akysis vespa/portellus

Items for sale in the United States of America and Canada.
sjf92
Location 1: North America
Location 2: USA

Looking for Akysis vespa/portellus

Post by sjf92 »

Hi, this is my first post here.

I'm hoping someone might be able to help point me in the right direction to find some of the Akysis species, or better yet, have some available for sale (or trade).

Ideally, I'd like to find someone who's willing to sell me a small group of Akysis vespa or Akysis portellus. I have a mature 110 gallon hillstream tank I'd like to have a group of them in.

It's been near impossible finding a reputable supplier who has any. I've also been scouring all the aquarium auctions and for sale forums--nada!

I'm located on the East Coast in the US.

Seems like a lot of people in this online community keep some exceptionally rare fish, so I thought I'd try rolling my dice here.

Thank you in advance, and I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.

-S
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 140 (i:102, k:37)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 38
Spotted: 175
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Looking for Akysis vespa/portellus

Post by bekateen »

Wetspot in Oregon had them, if they aren't sold out now. Dang. Just checked their website and the fish are no longer listed. Sorry.

Good luck!
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
MarcW
I've donated: $146.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 44 (i:9, k:17)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:1)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:575)
My Wishlist: 55
Spotted: 40
Location 1: Hampshire
Location 2: UK

Post by MarcW »

Hi, I have a group of 24 Akysis portellus, they are great little fish, so much fun to watch especially when there is food about. I'm in the UK and have only seen them in a shop once, but honestly never looked for them except the time I was told about them by the shop I got them from! I suspect they may be one of those fish which most shops don't get in as they are small, well camouflaged and hide a lot, so end up staying in the shop tank for a long time.

On the plus side the ones I bought were very affordable 3 for £12 (~$16) around two years ago, although I suspect that the increase in shipping costs will have made them much more than that now.

Good luck with the search.
fishguy1978
My cats species list: 31 (i:26, k:21)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:7)
My BLogs: 2 (i:1, p:73)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 36
Location 1: Puget Sound
Location 2: WA
Interests: Fish. I have multiple aquariums with fish from S.A, C.A., Africa, and Asia.

Post by fishguy1978 »

The Wet Spot posts their stock list on Friday afternoon after 3pm. I pick up my 3 Akysis from an LFS that only sources through the Wet Spots whole sale side The Cichlid Exchange.
Did you say “CATFISH!?” I’m in.
sjf92

Post by sjf92 »

bekateen wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 06:34 Wetspot in Oregon had them, if they aren't sold out now. Dang. Just checked their website and the fish are no longer listed. Sorry.

Good luck!
Thank you! I'll watch their import list and reach out to them, maybe they have some still laying around in the back or something.
sjf92

Post by sjf92 »

MarcW wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 10:00 Hi, I have a group of 24 Akysis portellus, they are great little fish, so much fun to watch especially when there is food about. I'm in the UK and have only seen them in a shop once, but honestly never looked for them except the time I was told about them by the shop I got them from! I suspect they may be one of those fish which most shops don't get in as they are small, well camouflaged and hide a lot, so end up staying in the shop tank for a long time.

On the plus side the ones I bought were very affordable 3 for £12 (~$16) around two years ago, although I suspect that the increase in shipping costs will have made them much more than that now.

I'm so jealous. I know the three Akysis species only come from the drainage of one (!!!) river system that is on the border of Myanmar and Thailand, each unique to their own stream. I'm guessing they're probably difficult to import due to their remote location and minuscule distribution. I'm also guessing they're all probably endangered to some degree as well.

I've seen them display some cool behavior during feeding in some videos (which are hard to find). I think they'd add some interesting visuals during a heavy feeding, and help keep the Neocaridina shrimp population in check. How big are your mature individuals? Any breeding?
sjf92

Post by sjf92 »

fishguy1978 wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 16:19 The Wet Spot posts their stock list on Friday afternoon after 3pm. I pick up my 3 Akysis from an LFS that only sources through the Wet Spots whole sale side The Cichlid Exchange.
I'll watch their import list like a hawk from now on. Was your LFS able to order them from the Wet Spot, and what was the final retail price on your end (if you don't mind me asking)?
fishguy1978
My cats species list: 31 (i:26, k:21)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:7)
My BLogs: 2 (i:1, p:73)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 36
Location 1: Puget Sound
Location 2: WA
Interests: Fish. I have multiple aquariums with fish from S.A, C.A., Africa, and Asia.

Post by fishguy1978 »

sjf92 wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 17:28
fishguy1978 wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 16:19 The Wet Spot posts their stock list on Friday afternoon after 3pm. I pick up my 3 Akysis from an LFS that only sources through the Wet Spots whole sale side The Cichlid Exchange.
I'll watch their import list like a hawk from now on. Was your LFS able to order them from the Wet Spot, and what was the final retail price on your end (if you don't mind me asking)?
I did not special order them. I brought in some fish for store credit and one of the employees knowing my interest in rare cats showed them to me. They have offered to special order though. IIRC $12/ea.
Did you say “CATFISH!?” I’m in.
MarcW

Post by MarcW »

sjf92 wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 17:26
MarcW wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 10:00 Hi, I have a group of 24 Akysis portellus, they are great little fish, so much fun to watch especially when there is food about. I'm in the UK and have only seen them in a shop once, but honestly never looked for them except the time I was told about them by the shop I got them from! I suspect they may be one of those fish which most shops don't get in as they are small, well camouflaged and hide a lot, so end up staying in the shop tank for a long time.

I'm so jealous. I know the three Akysis species only come from the drainage of one (!!!) river system that is on the border of Myanmar and Thailand, each unique to their own stream. I'm guessing they're probably difficult to import due to their remote location and minuscule distribution. I'm also guessing they're all probably endangered to some degree as well.

I've seen them display some cool behavior during feeding in some videos (which are hard to find). I think they'd add some interesting visuals during a heavy feeding, and help keep the Neocaridina shrimp population in check. How big are your mature individuals? Any breeding?
Mine display quite varied sizes and patterns, I was told by the exporter, via the shop I got them from they are A. portellus, I'm no expert on fishes from that region so can't argue against that. Perhaps the differences I see in mine are due to gender or something else, they were all from the same shipment. No signs of breeding at all, they either stay buried under the sand, or wedged between stones until food is about. I'll try to get a feeding video later today.
MarcW

Post by MarcW »

I just put some bloodworm in and they weren't cooperating! Below is a video of the tank from last year which you can see them in.

The smallest is around 30mm SL and the largest 65mm SL, most are a sandy base colour, but some of the smaller, slimmer ones are more orangey. Some also have a speckled pattern of darker dots, where as others don't.
sjf92

Post by sjf92 »

MarcW wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 13:17 I just put some bloodworm in and they weren't cooperating! Below is a video of the tank from last year which you can see them in.

The smallest is around 30mm SL and the largest 65mm SL, most are a sandy base colour, but some of the smaller, slimmer ones are more orangey. Some also have a speckled pattern of darker dots, where as others don't.
Wow, absolutely gorgeous tank. I love the turbulent flow!!! The catfish look nice and fat.
MarcW

Post by MarcW »

I managed to coax a few out today, pictures in this post and a couple short videos in the next.
IMG_20211209_192557.jpg
IMG_20211209_192543.jpg
IMG_20211209_191937.jpg
IMG_20211209_191859.jpg
IMG_20211209_191836.jpg
MarcW

Post by MarcW »

sjf92

Post by sjf92 »

MarcW wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 20:45
Damn, they're so cool. Still haven't been able to find anyone to supply any =((
sjf92

Post by sjf92 »

Hi all, I just thought I'd give an update on my search for some of the Akysis species:

I was able to secure a group of A. vespa through The Wet Spot in Oregon, as previously mentioned by Bekateen. I think they update their stock today and they should be on it. $7.00USD per fish + shipping (~$35.00USD). If anyone is looking to get some A. vespa, you also have the opportunity to get some. TWS said they're rare and hard to get. AFAIK the fish they have right now are looking like true A. vespa, and aren't misidentified as one of the other species. Mine arrive this Tuesday. I'll post some pics/vids after I get them acclimated and through quarantine.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 140 (i:102, k:37)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 38
Spotted: 175
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Excellent! Congratulations on getting them.
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
medaka
Expert
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 5
My images: 66
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Runcorn.
Location 2: Cheshire.UK
Interests: Asiancatfish/corys

Post by medaka »

they look like young to me.
I ‘Doc I can’t stop singing The Green, Green Grass of Home’
“That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome.
‘Is it common?’
“It’s not unusual.” :YMTONGUE:
sjf92

Post by sjf92 »

medaka wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 19:33 they look like young to me.
The online sales department said some photos may be outdated, and that they were sure they were A. vespa. I wasn't able to get photos of the stock from the retailer beforehand... We'll know for sure on Tuesday--I'll take some pictures while they're in a specimen container and perhaps we can get a solid ID.
medaka
Expert
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 5
My images: 66
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Runcorn.
Location 2: Cheshire.UK
Interests: Asiancatfish/corys

Post by medaka »

The online sales department said some photos may be outdated, and that they were sure they were A. vespa. I wasn't able to get photos of the stock from the retailer beforehand... We'll know for sure on Tuesday--I'll take some pictures while they're in a specimen container and perhaps we can get a solid ID.
More pictures are always welcome :)

They are definitely NOT Akysis vespa. They have all the looks of Akysis longifilis IMO.
I ‘Doc I can’t stop singing The Green, Green Grass of Home’
“That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome.
‘Is it common?’
“It’s not unusual.” :YMTONGUE:
sjf92

Post by sjf92 »

Alrighty, everyone survived shipping and acclimation. One brave soul is out from under their piece of driftwood. Lights are turned down really low atm. I think these are most certainly A. vespa, but I could be wrong.
Attachments
IMG_2138.jpeg

Return to “For Sale (USA & Canada)”