First fossil Loricariinae

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

First fossil Loricariinae

Post by Silurus »

Bogan S & FL Agnolin, 2022. The first fossil from the superdiverse clade Loricariinae (Siluriformes, Loricariidae): a new species of the armored catfish from the late Miocene of Paraná, Argentina. PalZ (Paläontologische Zeitschrift) doi:10.1007/s12542-022-00613-x

Abstract

Armored catfishes of the subfamily Loricariinae include more than 250 species and 31 genera distributed along South America from Costa Rica to Buenos Aires province in central Argentina. In spite of that, the entire clade lacks a single paleontological record. In this work, a new species of Loricariinae belonging to the genus Sturisomatichthys from late Miocene Ituzaingó beds at Paraná locality, Entre Ríos province, Argentina, is described. The holotype and only known specimen consists on a partially preserved body, with features that allow the recognition of a new species. The new taxon fits previous hypotheses, indicating that the Miocene fish faunas from paleo-Paraná basin were close to those of northern South America.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”