ancistrus fry predator

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
kiwidu21
My cats species list: 20 (i:4, k:5)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:17)
Spotted: 12
Location 1: France
Location 2: Côte D'Or

ancistrus fry predator

Post by kiwidu21 »

Hello,

First of all, I want to apologize for this post but I just saw when separating the male and the ancistrus female that I had spawned again and the eggs have already hatched (they are at the yolk sac stage, 1 maximum day).

I already have about fifty little ones to place (which is quite difficult in France) so I can't afford to keep those.
Before immersing them in a clove solution, do you know if there is a fish that could eat these larvae?

I have Synodontis nigriventris but I prefer to know before throwing all the little ones in another tank (and avoid having to fish them out if they haven't been eaten).

Thanks in advance.
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Re: ancistrus fry predator

Post by Birger »

The nigriventris will not be large enough for this task, you would need a Synodontis maybe 25 0r 30 cm. long to be sure.
Birger
kiwidu21

Post by kiwidu21 »

The fry measure 0.5cm (and still have their yolk sac). I gave them and the synodontis were crazy. They pounced on it. They are 10 years old and measure about 10cm. Even penguin tetras and corydoras have eaten it.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

1 day old wigglers are not much bigger than an egg. Almost anything that can will eat them.

Decades ago I got some of the earlier LF BN that were coming to America. I bought a small group. At that time I had little interest in spawning anything. it turned out they were spawning once old enough. But I never realized this because it must have been at least a year before I ever spotted a BN fry. It was a community tank.

Years later I ended up parked a pair in a well planted 10 gal tank. I also had amano shrimp. They will also eat bn fry if the amanos are big enough. I know because I would see eggs but almost never see free swimming fry, I did not mind.

I can sympathize with you. Before I finally got rid of all of them my final spawn was over 100 fry.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
aquaholic
My images: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Australia
Interests: Catfish, tankbusters and cichlids

Post by aquaholic »

Eggs are the perfect food for all fish. Even ancistrus will happily eat ancistrus eggs.
kiwidu21

Post by kiwidu21 »

Thank you for your answers.
I guess it's quite greasy for food, so how often can I give it to them?

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”