New Silurichthys

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

New Silurichthys

Post by Silurus »

Ng, HH & M Kottelat, 2022. Silurichthys exortivus, a new catfish (Teleostei: Siluridae) from eastern Borneo, Indonesia. Zootaxa 5138:185–190.

Abstract

, a new species of silurid catfish, is described from the Mahakam River drainage in eastern Borneo. The new species can be distinguished from congeners in lacking a dorsal fin, having 4 (vs. 6–7) principal rays on the upper caudal-fin lobe and a combination of: body depth at anus 14.0% SL, caudal peduncle depth 5.1% SL, pelvic fins absent, 54 anal-fin rays, caudal fin with asymmetrical lobes (upper lobe 1.1 times longer than lower), 48 vertebrae, 1 gill raker on the first branchial arch, and a mottled brown body. Based on the reduced number of principal caudal-fin rays, S. exortivus, S. ligneolus and S. sanguineus are hypothesized to form an exclusively Bornean clade.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 943
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 446
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: New Silurichthys

Post by Jools »

Congratulations, and thanks for adding the n. sp. Love the etymology behind the name, it's a new one on me!

Cheers,

Jools

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”