Another “what we got here” thread

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
bsmith
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: St.Louis, MO

Another “what we got here” thread

Post by bsmith »

One of my favorite local stores had a small heard of these guys labeled as Melanistius but not spotted even and one of the employees was saying he believed they were CW045’s.

When I was observing them in the store tank with normal gravel and no other objects they stayed in a tight group and were all over the tank. Now in my tank they seem to be quite the skittish group only coking out when I feed (as seen in the video) and it seems like at dusk in the tank.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Another “what we got here” thread

Post by Jools »

There are four species of cory here.

, , . Pretty sure of those. The fourth one might be . Would need clearer pics.

I can't see here - not high backed enough.

Jools
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

I’m sorry….I totally should have said I was t talking about the pandas or sterbai.

None of the species you listed are spotted at all like my new guys.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

I'm not sure I understand the question, but, in any case we need sharper pics would help. Bear in mind your dark substrate will alter the appearance of the fish. Typical "culprits" in this kind of thread are and but just on your pics, the fishes looked more round nosed.

Jools
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

The fish appears to have body spots and a spotted tail. has unspotted flanks, but I see lots of spots on the sides of your fish in these photos. If your fish are a short snout species, I'd go with before , which has almost a hyaline tail or very faint spotting on the tail. If the snout is straight, then .

Cheers,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

bekateen wrote: 24 May 2022, 00:28 The fish appears to have body spots and a spotted tail. has unspotted flanks, but I see lots of spots on the sides of your fish in these photos. If your fish are a short snout species, I'd go with before , which has almost a hyaline tail or very faint spotting on the tail. If the snout is straight, then .

Cheers,
Eric
I believe you’ve cracked the case. They have a straight/more elongated snout so it is my belief that they are C.Delphax.

bsmith

Post by bsmith »

Here’s something else for you to chew on if you like. A week or so ago I purchased a lone juvenile from the same that also came from the same source as mine (I think the breeder is selling them under the Cw045 identity to the store.) The pics in the catElog resemble this juvenile quite heavily but the group of 8 I originally started this thread about are quite a bit darker and larger of course. I don’t know if maybe in the wild they have a lighter sand type substrate that makes them display a lighter appearance or perhaps my Fluval Stratum is making mine that much darker.

The Juvie.

bsmith

Post by bsmith »

This video really demonstrates how the behavior of this fish differs from most others. They forage with purpose almost and are very high strung as even the most inconsequential action will send the whole shoal darting for cover.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”