Panda-ish Corydoras, but which one?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
YSR50
My cats species list: 21 (i:17, k:12)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
My BLogs: 2 (i:7, p:97)
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Chicago-ish
Location 2: USA

Panda-ish Corydoras, but which one?

Post by YSR50 »

LFS had some tiny corys that they had labeled as "Albino panda Cory cat". Stopped in and they are obviously not albino, but leucistic as expected. I picked up 12+ while trading in some other plecos.

When viewing them close up and in pictures once at home they don't appear to be as white as I thought. I'm wondering if they are a stage of leucistic pandas, , or maybe just lighter shade of . Any thought?
IMG_1923.JPG
IMG_1924.JPG
characinkid
I've donated: $27.00!
My cats species list: 10 (i:3, k:9)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:3, p:148)
My Wishlist: 5
Spotted: 10
Location 1: New England USA
Location 2: NH USA

Re: Panda-ish Corydoras, but which one?

Post by characinkid »

Im not expert, but they look closest to Panda to me by the faint markings. They don't have any trace of the saddle that cw051 would have that I can see.

Cool looking fish either way!
Too Many Tanks... Too Many fish... not enough time!!!
MissNoodle
My articles: 1
My images: 31
My cats species list: 27 (i:27, k:5)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
My BLogs: 7 (i:35, p:389)
My Wishlist: 10
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Ontario
Location 2: Canada

Post by MissNoodle »

Look like "low quality" white panda mutation of pandas... low quality in terms that the natural colour bleeds in rather than showing true white.

Either way, theyre cute and interesting in looks all the same
Corydoras, Hoplosternum, Farlowella, Pleco
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Based only on those two photos, I don't think they're leucistic at all, but rather washed out. Get them in a tank with neutral colored and good food, then let them settle in. I suspect they might darken significantly. Whether or not they're pandas, I'm not sure, but time and less stress should tell.

Did the LFS indicate if the fish were captive bred vs. wild caught?

Good luck with them,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
YSR50
My cats species list: 21 (i:17, k:12)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
My BLogs: 2 (i:7, p:97)
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Chicago-ish
Location 2: USA

Post by YSR50 »

My including CW051 shows how little I know of corys. :YMSIGH:
MissNoodle wrote: 30 May 2022, 06:17 Look like "low quality" white panda mutation of pandas... low quality in terms that the natural colour bleeds in rather than showing true white.
This was my thoughts as well.
bekateen wrote: 30 May 2022, 16:24 Based only on those two photos, I don't think they're leucistic at all, but rather washed out. Get them in a tank with neutral colored and good food, then let them settle in. I suspect they might darken significantly. Whether or not they're pandas, I'm not sure, but time and less stress should tell.

Did the LFS indicate if the fish were captive bred vs. wild caught?
Would guess captive bred. I held off for about a week before buying them.

I agree that they don't appear to be true leucistic. Having never owned Pandas before I wasn't sure just how light colored they were when starting out this young. Since picking them up they are showing the black that you would expect from Pandas but are keeping a lighter color body than a normal Panda. I'll try to get a few decent pictures in the next few days.

All in all it's not a bad "purchase". I traded my orange venezuelanus breeders, as well as some of their offspring so that I can try out Pandas for a bit.

Return to “What is my catfish?”