Plecos: The article that started it all.

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Plecos: The article that started it all.

Post by Shane »

In January 1994 AFM ran Ginny's seminal article on spawning an Ancistrus species from the Rio Negro. There may have been earlier articles in UK or German club magazines, but this was the first glossy major magazine article on spawning and rearing pleco fry that most of us in the U.S. had ever seen. I have held onto it for over 28 years and have read it dozens of times. The style in which it was written served as an exemplar to me when I was writing articles for aquarium magazines.
-Shane
Attachments
20220526_104703.jpg
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Plecos: The article that started it all.

Post by Jools »

I've never read it. Only another 23 years and it'll be out of copyright. :-)

Jools
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Jools wrote: 26 May 2022, 20:22 I've never read it. Only another 23 years and it'll be out of copyright. :-)

Jools
I´m aftraid that will take a lot longer. In the EU, copyright is 70 years - starting cxounting after the year the author died. If the author is a legal entity, the counting starts the year after publishing.

Now, the UK is not part of the EU anymore, but the rule dates from before the Brexit, and therefore the UK used to have this very same rule. I don´t know, however, whether this has been amended.

This would surprize me, however, as most likely, there are more pressing issues to change before this one has its turn.

But the most important part is, whatever the term, this only starts after the author died. This system is adopted worldwide, so I would not expect the UK to change that.
cats have whiskers
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Yes, you’re right of course, and I know this, not sure why I made the mistake. The law is the same in the US as well although I think it’s under review.

Anyway, apologies @Shane, didn’t mean to deflect from the point of the post which was the celebrate the article.

Certainly I don’t know of an earlier such article in English. Well done Ginny!

Jools

Return to “Speak Easy”