Rio Doce Trichomycterus

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Rio Doce Trichomycterus

Post by Silurus »

Reis, V & MCC de Pinna, 2022. Diversity and systematics of Trichomycterus Valenciennes 1832 (Siluriformes: Trichomycteridae) in the Rio Doce Basin: iterating DNA, phylogeny and classical taxonomy. Zoological Jounal of the Linnean Society zlac018, https://doi.org/10.1093/zoolinnean/zlac018

Abstract
The catfish genus Trichomycterus is a recognized taxonomic bottleneck in Neotropical ichthyology. The hitherto poorly-known diversity of Trichomycterus in the Rio Doce Basin, Brazil, is here investigated using an iterative approach based on morphology and cytochrome oxidase subunit I (COI) sequence data. Specimens from the entire Rio Doce Drainage and adjacent basins are analysed, including from type localities. Iteration of different sources of data, dense sampling and taxonomic representation, plus information on relevant type specimens allows a clear view of the diversity, relationships and nomenclature of Trichomycterus in the Rio Doce Basin. Results indicate the presence of at least 14 species in the basin, seven of which are new. A lectotype is designated for Trichomycterus immaculatus and the type locality is accordingly restricted to the Rio São Mateus, a satellite basin north of the Rio Doce. Geographic distributions are mapped for all recognized species. The wide distributions of some species (e.g. Trichomycterus alternatus, T. immaculatus) are explained against information on geomorphological processes and comparative information on their biology. A Bayesian phylogenetic analysis shows that a large portion of the assemblage of Trichomycterus in the Rio Doce forms a clade, a pattern relevant to understanding the evolution of the genus in eastern South America.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”