L075

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
beardedbillygoat1975
Location 1: Bend OR
Location 2: USA
Interests: Ancistrus, Coryadoras

L075

Post by beardedbillygoat1975 »

I haven't seen anywhere that the L075 are particularly hard to care for and I have seen the information here and on another Pleco forum. I just wondered if someone who is presently caring for a group could give me some ideas as to the number and any vagaries on the setup. With their larger size ok with a planted tank? Omnivore, cave spawner, moderate flow, rock and wood, get to 10" potentially, well oxygenated water. I was considering a group in a 125 with some rainbows, Colombian tetras and a larger Cory like Scleromastyx barbatus. Thanks for any help.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: L075

Post by Jools »

They are easy to keep. That said, S. barbatus prefers cooler water and is not a good choice. The other fishes would be fine.

Jools
stuby
I've donated: $25.00!
My images: 1
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Big Rapids, MI.

Re: L075

Post by stuby »

Like Jools said... they are easy to keep. Breeding on the other hand take time and patience. A nice sized tank with wood, caves, and plenty or hiding places would be ideal. As far as tank mates.... tetras, angels, rainbows, some Corydoras stebai, ect would be fine. Never tried plants with mine I suspect they would nibble on them at the least. I had a pair in a 40gallon breeder with an air driven sponge filter and a small powerhead with a large sponge filter when I bred mine....... well oxygenated but not a lot of current. Currently I keep some in a 75 and a 55 gallon....

HTH
Chuck

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”