Does anyone know if the Tatia galaxias for sale on Aquatic Arts is actually Tatia galaxias or if it’s Tatia intermedia?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
ToastPuppy
Location 1: Bemidji
Location 2: Minnesota

Does anyone know if the Tatia galaxias for sale on Aquatic Arts is actually Tatia galaxias or if it’s Tatia intermedia?

Post by ToastPuppy »

I’m heading to college in a few weeks and they’re allowing a fish tank up to 20 gallons there, so I want to try keeping some Tatia galaxias. I know that Tatia galaxias are smaller than Tatia intermedia, so I’d imagine they’d do better in such a small tank. Sorry this is my first post here and I don’t know how to move it to the proper forum section thing.
Catfish-ologist
My articles: 1
My images: 3
My cats species list: 56 (i:4, k:31)
My aquaria list: 14 (i:0)
My BLogs: 4 (i:4, p:205)
My Wishlist: 46
Spotted: 94
Location 1: Alabama
Location 2: USA
Interests: Auchenipteridae, Hypancistrus, and other Catfish.

Re: Does anyone know if the Tatia galaxias for sale on Aquatic Arts is actually Tatia galaxias or if it’s Tatia intermed

Post by Catfish-ologist »

I keep Tatia intermedia and true galaxias from the locale, Aquatic arts has intermedia. And galaxias has never been publicly available in the US. I would say galaxias gets to 3" and intermedia gets to 4" or so I keep a breeding group of 6 Tatia intermedia in a 20_Long and they do great. Other things like T. gyrina, T. strigata, D. perugiae, D. altae, and D. romani all get 2-2.5".
Since Galaxias is not available and has never been bred you will not have much luck getting it. Although The term "Intermedia" is very vague and describes fish from 6 countries with varying patterns, Some may get to 5" some may only get to 3". I would recommend intermedia more just because they are more active I have never even seen my galaxias outside their caves. I have had quite a bit of experience with Tatia and Duringlanis so feel free to pm me with any questions.
Cheers,
-- Sean
Oh I'm only gonna get 1 tank for 1 catfish...(every time I see a catfish)! - Sean Hensley 2021

There may be limited space for catfish tanks but there is unlimited space for catfish knowledge. - Sean Hensley 2022

Everyone has limits. not everyone accepts them. - Anonymous
ToastPuppy
Location 1: Bemidji
Location 2: Minnesota

Re: Does anyone know if the Tatia galaxias for sale on Aquatic Arts is actually Tatia galaxias or if it’s Tatia intermed

Post by ToastPuppy »

Interesting! I’m wondering if there would be any tankmates you’d recommend for the tank to go with the Intermedia in case they don’t feel like coming out. I’ve always felt partial to pencilfish, especially the one-lined pencilfish and I was wondering if a small school of them or some other characin found in the area would go well with them or if they’d become a snack.
Martin S
I've donated: $20.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 90 (i:19, k:0)
Spotted: 17
Location 1: Guildford, Surrey
Location 2: UK
Interests: Aquatics

Post by Martin S »

I wouldn't suggest pencil fish, but go for the deeper bodied fish such as the phantoms (red/black), diamond or red eye tetras. Smaller tetras and pencil fish can be known to sleep on the gravel, making easy for predation.
HTH
Martin
characinkid
I've donated: $27.00!
My cats species list: 10 (i:3, k:9)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:3, p:148)
My Wishlist: 5
Spotted: 10
Location 1: New England USA
Location 2: NH USA

Post by characinkid »

Hi All, Saw this today, this looks like true T galaxias: https://www.aquariumglaser.de/en/fish-a ... alaxias-2/
Quite different than T intermedia in the spots on the body.
Too Many Tanks... Too Many fish... not enough time!!!
fishguy1978
My cats species list: 31 (i:26, k:21)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:7)
My BLogs: 2 (i:1, p:73)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 36
Location 1: Puget Sound
Location 2: WA
Interests: Fish. I have multiple aquariums with fish from S.A, C.A., Africa, and Asia.

Post by fishguy1978 »

I agree that those are not T. Galaxias. I have T. intermedia and gyrina. You could also do akysis prashadi or vespa. Haven't been bred in the aquarium but stay small. I have prashadi. My micro cats are housed in 29g aquariums. I have the intermedia in with swordtails and the gyrina with redhead tapajo growouts that are 1/4in. The prashadi are in with pea puffers and glass catfish.
Did you say “CATFISH!?” I’m in.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”