My Platydoras is too big

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
kiwidu21
My cats species list: 20 (i:4, k:5)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:17)
Spotted: 12
Location 1: France
Location 2: Côte D'Or

My Platydoras is too big

Post by kiwidu21 »

Hello,

I just changed my Platydoras tray and when I caught it I realized that it was just huge!
As in the old tank I fed the ancistrus fry twice a day, I think he did not hesitate to take his share...
He is now with young Corydoras, which are fed mainly frozen (beef heart, daphnia, homemade pâté). As it is quite small, I doubt that he is interested in it (food and corydoras).

Is it a good idea to put the Platydoras on a diet? Is giving him a little every 2 days enough or too much?

I know it's a 9 year old female but there, she tends to roll when she lands on the sand...
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Re: My Platydoras is too big

Post by naturalart »

Given everything is 'normal' in your tank and with the fish, you should not have any problem putting your Platydoras on a diet. Many catfish her size can go 4-5 days without food no problem.
kiwidu21

Post by kiwidu21 »

Ok, so I'm going to limit his meals as much as I can. On the other hand, I don't really have the choice of feeding the little corydoras at least once a day. I'm trying the frozen food tonight, I hope the Platydoras won't touch it. If he eats there too, I would have no choice but to put him alone in another tank.

Do obesity problems exist in catfish? Or will it limit itself?
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I think raphs inhale anything and everything. They don't discriminate by size of nature of the feed unless the item doesn't fit in their mouth.

Most striped and spotted raphs are quite round in shape in people's tanks it seems. IDK if this is healthy or not, don't know much about these fish.

Also, I don't know in case you let it go really hungry, whether it might consider corys or snails etc a fair game.

Many animals pig out when feed is abundant. I think it's their instinct. But they will keep pigging out as long as the feed is abundant and it will hurt them sooner or later, I am sure.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Mine were always rounded and lived for some 27 years. I don't think thewrefore a round belly is harmfull to them in any way.

They can surprize their keeper. I once had them combined with some 30 male platys (Xiphopphorus maculatus I mean) which went well, untill it did not: One morning they were all disappeared. And, I'm certain, the Platydoras were very happy. Suddenly they realized these fishes were eatable.
cats have whiskers
kiwidu21

Post by kiwidu21 »

Bas Pels wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 08:40 They can surprize their keeper. I once had them combined with some 30 male platys (Xiphopphorus maculatus I mean) which went well, untill it did not: One morning they were all disappeared. And, I'm certain, the Platydoras were very happy. Suddenly they realized these fishes were eatable.
I'm interested. Under what circumstances did this happen?
Were the Platydoras fed every day? Did they have a plump belly before this "attack"?
I don't think I've seen any reports of predation on Corydoras, should I still be wary? Knowing that Corydoras have thorns, he should still touch them less, right?
fishguy1978
My cats species list: 31 (i:26, k:21)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:7)
My BLogs: 2 (i:1, p:73)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 36
Location 1: Puget Sound
Location 2: WA
Interests: Fish. I have multiple aquariums with fish from S.A, C.A., Africa, and Asia.

Post by fishguy1978 »

Your platy looks normal. I have three spotted golf balls rolling around my 260g. They’re beggars too. Anytime I’m in the room they are out wanting food.
Did you say “CATFISH!?” I’m in.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Dear Kiwidu

This happened between 1997 and 1999 - I was livinmg in those yerar in a place where this happend, therefore I can name the years.

I did not note anything special, and the fish were fed daily. However, I never fed the Platydoras at night, it was always during the day. And perhaps - I really don't know - they had reasons not to appear during the day, and where thus starved. I did not note.
cats have whiskers
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

As stated IDK much about raphs from 1st hand experience, so I'd rely on what the actual long term keepers say. Unfortunately, there aren't many vocal and active. Bas' 27 years is an astounding accomplishment.

It sounds plausible that round shape may not hurt the raphs too much or at all, contrary to my last sentence which was a trivial generalization anyway and these are known to have exceptions.

Sure it is far harder to swallow a cory with locked spines then a platy, comparing at the same size.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”