What to do with the "Glo Cory"?

Incorrect ID? New info to be added, taxonomic revisions and any kind of changes to the data we currently hold in here please!
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

What to do with the "Glo Cory"?

Post by Jools »

Morning all,

https://shop.glofish.com/collections/glofish-corydora

Opening this little can of worms. What should we do with the new glo cory. Corydoras sp(x)? A new genus for each Glo?

Jools
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: What to do with the "Glo Cory"?

Post by Bas Pels »

As far as I know, they are legal in the USA, but forbidden in the EU. And I would not know about other parts of the world.

Still, legal or not, they are manmade fish with an ethical aspect. I dislike them, but I'll try to remain as neutral as possible here.

Do we have special entries for albino Corydoras? As far as I know not. What would be different for these to justify a special entry?

I would assume a glowing C paleatus or A aeneus would require a similar care as the real fish, just as albinos do. And that information is available.
cats have whiskers
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Why not just add it as a color variant of the natural species, like albino aeneus or schulze black?

... and I'd suggest one entry per real species, with all color variations lumped in together.
Bas Pels wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 14:18Do we have special entries for albino Corydoras? As far as I know not. What would be different for these to justify a special entry?

I would assume a glowing C paleatus or A aeneus would require a similar care as the real fish, just as albinos do. And that information is available.
Exactly

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

I understand the logic to make it a colour variation, but I wondered if because it has had its DNA altered that makes it not ?

The EU legislation on Genetically Modified Organisms was retained in Scots Law (just), and in UK legislation after brexit. But I really don't know about other countries or regions either.

Also, I believe glo-fish have more legal "protection" than other ornamental fishes. I am unclear if it's legal to resell, breed or distribute fry from glo GM fishes. If anyone has the terms and conditions, let me know! I would also like to dispel the random misinformation wherever possible. Best data I've got is from Amazonas magazine and there is a lot more reading on the wikipedia page.

Jools
PS No, this isn't a spam post. :-)
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

With regard to reselling these fishes, chances are one could face a patent lawsuit in such a case for selling fry. However, it could be one is free to sell the original bought fishes. In Europa, if one would buy a patented product, one is free to resell it. But not copy it.

The legal status for offspring would be very close to a copy, compare plant breeders rights.

With regard to the species, I am now reading a SF book in which some people are genetically changed - and yes, in the book some of the characters argue that the changed ones are not human anymore. To me, that sounds odd - one gene changed, the 10.000 others remain the same. In other words, some 0,01 % of the genes is changed, which would not suffice in any test for claiming another species.
cats have whiskers

Return to “Cat-eLog data issues”