Walstad Type tank

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Gaudior
Location 1: Austria
Location 2: West

Walstad Type tank

Post by Gaudior »

Hi everyone,

has anyone ever kept Corydoras in a Walstad tank? I am in the process of planning my first and was wondering wether corys would mess up the bottom?

Regards, Lisa
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Walstad Type tank

Post by bekateen »

Hi Lisa,

I don't know if it's been discussed here with corys, but there have been conversations here about Walstad tanks. I hope this helps: search.php?keywords=Walstad&terms=all&a ... mit=Search

From that list, this thread talks about corys: Corydoras and decaying matter.

and this post: viewtopic.php?p=24946&hilit=Walstad+Corydoras#p24946

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Gaudior

Post by Gaudior »

Thank you Eric, looks linke I might have to try this for myself
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
Gaudior wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 08:39.......has anyone ever kept Corydoras in a Walstad tank? I am in the process of planning my first and was wondering wether corys would mess up the bottom? ......
It depends a little bit on how you define a Walstad style tank.

Personally I don't think any sp. are suitable for a tank without any water circulation or water changes, which was Diana's original premise, but she did, later on, revise her position to allow for both water changes and some water circulation.

So with water circulation and some water changes Walstad style planted tanks are ideal for & and I've kept both successfully in this type of tank.

You might be interested in this interview with Mark Allison a UK Corydoras keeper and breeder. He says:
.....You have far more live plants in your tanks than I see in most cory breeders’ tanks. What’s the reason for that?

Initially I used a lot of Vallisneria torta for its long flowing leaves. It made my C. aeneus species easy to spawn as the plant flowed well in the turbulent water and they would lay eggs freely on it.

This sort of evolved into a belief that although we see videos and pictures of typical Corydoras habitats that are sandy or leaf littered, the Corydoras must be laying on plants or some form of plant matter or roots and there must be plants somewhere upstream in the river whether it be overhanging trees or plants within the rivers and streams.

This set me off on a planted fish room whether it be moss, Guppy grass (Najas), Cryptocoryne or Java fern, and I found more species of Corydoras laid on plants rather than on the glass or spawning mops when provided. Eggs are also easier to remove from plants due to plant cells having a coating on.

The growing plants were also removing nitrites, nitrates and carbon dioxide and producing oxygen. In effect they were conditioning the water, making the quality last longer.......
cheers Darrel
fishguy1978
My cats species list: 31 (i:26, k:21)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:7)
My BLogs: 2 (i:1, p:73)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 36
Location 1: Puget Sound
Location 2: WA
Interests: Fish. I have multiple aquariums with fish from S.A, C.A., Africa, and Asia.

Post by fishguy1978 »

I have run dirted/walstadt ish tanks. I cap the dirt with sand separated with a fiberglass window screen. I don’t know that I ever read any of her literature so my tanks have always been filtered and had water changes.
My cory tanks now are planted but only use a sand substrate about 2in deep. Plants include multiple varieties of crypts, dwarf sag, val’s, guppy grass, Anubis and Java moss and fern.
Did you say “CATFISH!?” I’m in.
OregonOutdoorsChris
My images: 3
My cats species list: 22 (i:21, k:11)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:10)
My BLogs: 5 (i:20, p:293)
My Wishlist: 40
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Portland, Oregon
Location 2: USA

Post by OregonOutdoorsChris »

If you haven't already, I would highly recommend checking out Diana Walstad's book, "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium: A Practical Manual and Scientific Treatise for the Home Aquarist"

Unfortunately she doesn't address the suitability of corys, but the book is pure gold with regards to the rest of the information it provides and is a truly invaluable toolkit.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

A general rule I have picked up in over 30 years of fishkeeping... The minute any author or product claims "no more water changes" drop the article or product in the nearest trash bin. Better yet, return the item and buy some extra buckets and water conditioner.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
OregonOutdoorsChris wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 04:46 Diana Walstad's book, "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium: A Practical Manual and Scientific Treatise for the Home Aquarist". Unfortunately she doesn't address the suitability of corys, but the book is pure gold with regards to the rest of the information it provides and is a truly invaluable toolkit.
I'm not attempting to rubbish Diana, or her book, I would also highly recommend it. If I only owned one book on aquariums it would be hers.
Shane wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 11:24A general rule I have picked up in over 30 years of fishkeeping... The minute any author or product claims "no more water changes" drop the article or product in the nearest trash bin. Better yet, return the item and buy some extra buckets and water conditioner.
Same for me.

cheers Darrel
OregonOutdoorsChris

dw1305 wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 16:27
OregonOutdoorsChris wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 04:46 Diana Walstad's book, "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium: A Practical Manual and Scientific Treatise for the Home Aquarist". Unfortunately she doesn't address the suitability of corys, but the book is pure gold with regards to the rest of the information it provides and is a truly invaluable toolkit.
I'm not attempting to rubbish Diana, or her book, I would also highly recommend it. If I only owned one book on aquariums it would be hers.
Shane wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 11:24A general rule I have picked up in over 30 years of fishkeeping... The minute any author or product claims "no more water changes" drop the article or product in the nearest trash bin. Better yet, return the item and buy some extra buckets and water conditioner.
Same for me.
Indeed! And like you said earlier, "It depends a little bit on how you define a Walstad style tank" which is why I push the book so hard. To me it's more of a toolkit of knowledge than a prescribed recipe to follow, which is in stark contrast to how the internet-at-large usually handles the topic :d .
PXL_20220926_153858378.jpg
Gaudior

Post by Gaudior »

Hi everyone,

I would like to thank everybody who contributed to this interesting thread!
I have read Diana Walstad's book and wanted to try out the type of tank setup she described. Since my primary focus is on fish keeping and breeding I never even considered the idea of no or minimal water changes or minimal filtration. I used a pool filter sand cap on dirt from my garden. If the tank runs fine once its cycled maybe I'll add some Otocinclus haroldoi. I suppose time will tell whether it works my way or not.

Cheers, Lisa
OregonOutdoorsChris

Gaudior wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 21:57 Hi everyone,

I would like to thank everybody who contributed to this interesting thread!
I have read Diana Walstad's book and wanted to try out the type of tank setup she described. Since my primary focus is on fish keeping and breeding I never even considered the idea of no or minimal water changes or minimal filtration. I used a pool filter sand cap on dirt from my garden. If the tank runs fine once its cycled maybe I'll add some Otocinclus haroldoi. I suppose time will tell whether it works my way or not.

Cheers, Lisa
In terms of will using dirt as a nutrient rich substrate, capped with pool filter sand, and planted heavily, work with corys? The answer is a resounding yes!

Here's mine using HTH pool filter sand capping some back yard dirt from a few years back. Sadly I had to tear that tank down when I moved, and it's not been in the rotation yet to be fixed up.
20190222_183509.jpg
Sorry for not giving that answer earlier, but as was being discussed above what constitutes a Walstad tank can vary widely from person to person, so I didn't want to give what could have been bad advice.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”